Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

15 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Besides the CA. AB5 worker laws, corps and their employees (W-2 and IC employees) nowadays may be liable to pay state taxes for work performed in certain states (NY for one) aka. out of state athlete/performer income tax. Some states also have sales tax payments for items sold at souvie booths within their state (MA/RI).

Those athlete / performer laws are so they can collect from Lebron James and Luke Bryan.  Not from drum corps instructors.  The cost of monitoring and enforcing it for the little guys would be more than they could ever collect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

Those athlete / performer laws are so they can collect from Lebron James and Luke Bryan.  Not from drum corps instructors.  The cost of monitoring and enforcing it for the little guys would be more than they could ever collect.

...and yet it's there to put fear into the hearts and minds of many!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

Still something for the little guys and their employers to trip over

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

Yes it is geared for the multi millionaires but every time I have to go to NY for work my employer would deduct NY income tax from my check causing me to have to file an annual NY out of state return. In fact with Covid and employees working from home. MA. required ALL employers who had business locations in MA to tax their out of state employees that normally would be in the office, who were now working from home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First off Rennicks interview on the DCCS podcast is the most open statements that actually make sense from anyone in the organization.

refunds were made to the kids for those camps.

he definitely touched on the management revolving door.

he did discuss AB5, and what I want to know is how could SCV not get set with this when every other dci corps hasn’t gone broke due to it? Again that’s on administration failure 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Yes it is geared for the multi millionaires but every time I have to go to NY for work my employer would deduct NY income tax from my check causing me to have to file an annual NY out of state return. In fact with Covid and employees working from home. MA. required ALL employers who had business locations in MA to tax their out of state employees that normally would be in the office, who were now working from home.

If you're going to work in a location for a week or two, you shouldn't have to pay local taxes, because it's clearly temporary.   Large employers are able to manage that.  A drum corps tootling through NY will not have to do it, and no employee of the drum corps will be at risk.

The original legal decisions supporting withholding local taxes came from a case involving my first employer, Arthur Andersen.  The NY State AG noticed they had employees travelling into NYC on the regular over long periods of time, and told them to pay up.  That became precedent for all other locations.  

The musicians / athletes tax was a different one, to get around the fact that showing up in town to play 60 minutes of football wouldn't normally require anyone to pay taxes in the state where the game is played.  That game time was worth hundreds of thousands to the players, so the state wanted a piece of that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

First off Rennicks interview on the DCCS podcast is the most open statements that actually make sense from anyone in the organization.

refunds were made to the kids for those camps.

he definitely touched on the management revolving door.

he did discuss AB5, and what I want to know is how could SCV not get set with this when every other dci corps hasn’t gone broke due to it? Again that’s on administration failure 

I was looking further into this AB5 thing.   I think the crippling additional cost he mentioned may not have come primarily from converting part-time contractors to part-time W-2 employees.  It may have come from being fined after the state decided they weren't compliant.  Presumably we're talking about lower level, day-to-day instructional staff, who don't make a lot anyway.  But the fines can be thousands of dollars per "employee".  I have no idea if this is the case, but I'm just trying figure out how the switch would have blown up costs so much that it put the entire organization at risk.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, troopers1 said:

This is the same philosophy on why the IRS ignores tax fraud below the $250,000 annual household income level.  I knew a guy who fudged his tax returns for decades because he knew the IRS would never bother to investigate.  The further below $250k you go, the number of individual returns to inspect grows exponentially.

That said, because NP's are already subject to tax review because of their status, there's likely more of a spotlight on conformance to the contractor rules.

• Like 2