Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

9 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Bill would be doing what everyone else is doing in this era of using the horns, props, and wardrobe as a fundraiser, getting it sponsored, and then selling it off.   Those things are a wash now. 

Sure; I'm just pointing out that Star wasn't necessarily run as a "throw money at everything!" drum corps the way some people may have thought.  Yes, they had money, and viable investments, but they also spent wisely to minimize costs 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perc2100 said:

Sure; I'm just pointing out that Star wasn't necessarily run as a "throw money at everything!" drum corps the way some people may have thought.  Yes, they had money, and viable investments, but they also spent wisely to minimize costs 

That era was different. Everyone used bugles for years because they were a niche item. Useless to anyone outside of the activity.

However Having money to use was the first part of the process. You could then pay for great staff, good accommodations, and excellent design. Better conditions means attracting better members.  Better ingredients, better pizza. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

What the 2023 contracted design staff needs to do is donate back to VMAPA all or part of their salary  for the year and take a tax deduction.  None of this group is living paycheck to paycheck. One year of work and  four years of pay is hard for most people to comprehend.

and they may for all we know.

10 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I did not intend to offend you.  I am wholeheartedly sorry if I did that.  What I am trying to convey is that this issue of trying to manage a non-profit drum corps and achieve a balance between maximizing 1) the competitive ability 2) the MM's experience 3) the sustainability of success and 4) the sustainability of the organization has been going on for decades, and there have been close to 100 failures for every success.  DCI once had over 200 members competing during finals week.  Now they're down to less than 35, and that number seems to gets smaller every year.  Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and to some degree Blue Stars have managed to accomplish all 4 fairly well, and now we can add Boston to that list.  (Maybe everyone should change their name to start with a B????)  DCI is a copycat world, except where it comes to financial management, which is the first place that success should be copied around.

We're all just incredibly frustrated that we see what's been coming, have been sounding the alarm on finances and abuse for years and years, and yet the people who can actually DO SOMETHING have their heads stuck in the sand and refuse to change.  I applaud you for choosing to get involved and try to help, but I imagine it's only frustrated and traumatized you even more to see how little has changed in 50 years.

SCV is kind of like everyone's favorite grandpa, except he's losing his home because he just kept trying to make a fortune selling Amway, even when everyone told him it wouldn't work.

what years did DCI have 200 corps competing at finals week?

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK about 200, but in 70s there were ~60 Corps that went to DCI and a whole bunch of smaller Corps (like mine) that competed in regional circuits & didn’t go to DCI.  

Maybe it only seemed like 200 when corps like ours finished 59th. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK about 200, but in 70s there were ~60 Corps that went to DCI and a whole bunch of smaller Corps (like mine) that competed in regional circuits & didn’t go to DCI.  

i was just asking the person that made the claim. i couldnt find anything supporting that claim before i typed.

i know many didn't do finals week, but since he gave that specific timeline i had to ask

On 1/13/2023 at 2:49 AM, dcifanforlife said:

What the 2023 contracted design staff needs to do is donate back to VMAPA all or part of their salary  for the year and take a tax deduction.  None of this group is living paycheck to paycheck. One year of work and  four years of pay is hard for most people to comprehend.

Most staff are 1099 contractors, and you couldn't use PPP for them.  They had to be regular W-2 employees.  Maybe SCV had their staff on W-2, of course.  But the chances are they were paying admin and bingo employees, like other corps and DCI.  I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to pay that money back, because the PPP was specifically meant to pay them when they otherewise would have been laid off or fired.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was just asking the person that made the claim. i couldnt find anything supporting that claim before i typed.

i know many didn't do finals week, but since he gave that specific timeline i had to ask

Back in 1982, I bought a copy of Drum Corps World at the show in Atlanta.  It had a two page chart of every year of DCI and every corps that marched in that year.  One year in the mid 70's,  it listed over 200 units that competed that year (I want to say 234, but I can't say that with any certainty).  I was new to DCI at the time and even then I was amazed at how many corps went away by '82.  Looking back on it, "marching Finals week" was the wrong verbiage, but there were over 200 on that list.