Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

On 12/15/2022 at 1:47 PM, Jeff Ream said:

and yes every single facet needs looked at. But there is no one size fits all fix and the majority of stuff floated here to cut costs are negligible in the grand scheme of things

Negligible?  This whole thread is about an organization that has recently made two decisions that, if nothing else, will certainly cut costs tremendously.

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

More musical in what way when you are just doubling parts?  I mean BITD with no amps this made sense.  This is 2023 not 2009.  Have to live in the now right?  Change or die moments.

they are not just doubling parts. if you have 5 marimbas playing 5 lines....not just doubling. doubling is what happened when you needed the 5 marimbas to be heard when unmiced. Did you watch that SCV Front ensemble video put up earlier in the thread? So much more than doubling.

but i realize people with actual percussion backgrounds explaining things to you are ignored so you can show your biases and preferences and misconceptions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Negligible?  This whole thread is about an organization that has recently made two decisions that, if nothing else, will certainly cut costs tremendously.

yeah i know actual experienced people giving you real world info doesn't matter. 

but yes all facets should be looked at...but the issues people keep flagging as killing the budget aren't the ones causing the most damage

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

And while we will miss SCV in 2023 and wonder about their future, there is something else to mourn.  Chances of ever seeing the Vanguard Cadets back on the field just dropped to zero.

less than zero. they are cadets2 levels of gone. oh sure some lip service about maybe some day, but yeah, not gonna happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Logical (pesky facts).  The amount of strawmen arguments on this are staggering.  I mean amplification was sold to everyone on this very point that you won't need as many and can save money, space and weight.

One of the very first ideas behind elex when we added them in the 00s was that pit could finally play their parts without killing their hands. Ours had to wrap their fingers in tape (they still bled all over their mallets), double parts, and pound on the Instrument to keep up with the sound from the field.   Once you added elex, the pit parts became more lush, and timbres way more complex as you could now have the ability to hear more parts with less effort.  Cavies had some killer pit moments once the elex were added. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not to mention less young people with bleeding hands for a few months. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah i know actual experienced people giving you real world info doesn't matter. 

but yes all facets should be looked at...but the issues people keep flagging as killing the budget aren't the ones causing the most damage

Way to completely miss my point.

People in this thread are flagging every single type of expense a corps has, and suggesting every conceivable cost-cutting measure up to and including taking seasons off with premeditation (suggesting that some WGI units have done this over the years).