A Modest Proposal

47 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

....money spent doesn't always mean success in the real world, so I don't understand why it has to here, but I'll defer to your data.

you can't cap costs when everyone's situation is different.  location and costs associated with location are most of it. 

On 12/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Which brings up the question(s) that only those with insider knowledge will be able to answer:

1. What does it cost to design a top 6 show vs a bottom 6 show?
  2. What does a Bluecoats/BD/SCV/(inserttop6corpshere) designer demand money wise?
  3. Which is the largest contributor to the increased cost?

I can see how expanding member count tour fee wise vs cost wise could be a wash. So then do we go back to bigger show, bigger design, bigger cost for that design?

1. They cost the same

2. I would say that bigger names get more money

3. Travel and housing are the largest costs, period. Production costs are practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. They are fixed and predictable. Tour costs are not

On 12/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, DudleytheWest said:

Yes, I understand that, but that doesn't mean the same concept can apply here by instituting maximum spend constraints on everything. This activity is on its last breath with Vanguard folding. Several top corps, and some not so top corps, are seemingly in similar positions financially. It's gotten so out of hand with what corps have to spend to win, and many can't do it.

Vanguard didn't fold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/18/2022 at 12:04 AM, lowend said:

I also wonder what the savings cost for 128 would be in terms of food, equipment, insurance, needing less staff, fewer props on the field, etc.

No doubt there is a cost savings for food, insurance, and maybe staff (props are irrelevant in terms of member size imho).  My comment was directed at the argument that transportation as a *jusitification to keep* the max member size.    

A friend and I were discussing Legend/Shadow last night and we would bet that housing is probably the biggest reason behind cost issues.  In light of covid and tighter school budgets, many schools are no longer allowing corps to stay in their gyms.  The corps have to be housed somewhere so the guess is that means more hotels (which are ridiculously expensive).

Edited by ShortyRock
Grammer/word choice

On 12/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, C.Holland said:

you can't cap costs when everyone's situation is different.  location and costs associated with location are most of it. 

I wonder if there are some economies of scale available?  Perhaps one blanket insurance policy that covers all Corps vs each Corps getting their own?   Perhaps one big contract for transportation- each Corps would still need to pay their share based on % miles & number of vehicles required.  But perhaps one big purchase of transportation could save a few $.  Food too - one big contract for ingredients; each Corps still pays for what they need, but overall cost is less?   

1 hour ago, ShortyRock said:

No doubt there is a cost savings for food, insurance, and maybe staff (props are irrelevant in terms of member size imho).  My comment was directed at the argument that transportation as a *jusitification to keep* the max member size.    

A friend and I were discussing Legend/Shadow last night and we would bet that housing is probably the biggest reason behind cost issues.  In light of covid and tighter school budgets, many schools are no longer allowing corps to stay in their gyms.  The corps have to be housed somewhere so the guess is that means more hotels (which are ridiculously expensive).

There is a photo somewhere of very early Cavaliers, when still a Boy Scout operation, sleeping in pup tents w/ bugles in front of tent.  😎

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 10:53 AM, ShortyRock said:

It’s cheaper for housing a corps in a hotel than a school.  This was confirmed to me by more than one OC Director.

23 hours ago, C.Holland said:

It’s cheaper for housing a corps in a hotel than a school.  This was confirmed to me by more than one OC Director.

I don't doubt you, but how in the hell does the math work on that?  Are schools charging more than $1800/night now?

23 hours ago, C.Holland said:

How is that possible?  I don't understand.  Sleeping on a high school gym floor in sleeping bags (girls on one side, guys on the other) is more expensive than putting kids in hotel rooms....?  And with a school the football field is generally thrown in as part of the deal. You can't get a decent hotel room for under $100 a night and with 130+ marching members plus staff.....