2023 DCI Rules Congress proposals at-a-glance

Lance

3 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Well the proposals are more regarding amplification and doubling as whole. They don't hinder the creative aspect of added electronics. I for one absolutely agree with taking away the general amplification of the hornline. 2021 Boston was painfully loud. 

At BOA this year, a certain band from Florida also way over-amplified the entire band when it wasn't needed. Connection?

• Like 1

Yes on 1...maybe go back to having a brass, visual, and percussion ensemble judges. Leave holistic show concept to the GE judges.

Yes on 3, even  though most of us know who the music and Visual GE judges are

Yes on 2, 17 minutes per window is too much time...might reduce the props and stage set up. But they need to enforce the step off and exit times. 

Yes on 4

No on 5 & 6

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they never performed in band?

Good question that I never considered.  BITD many if not most Drum Corps members didn’t have marching band experience; I wonder if anyone on field at 2022 finals didn’t have marching band experience.  Perhaps Troopers cellist I suppose.  

No on 2

4 sounds like "he who shall not be named" proposed it. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so #1 means no percussion representation upstairs?

Not exactly, they're recommending that the MA judge that is used has percussion experience so they don't lose this.

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Probably would've been a better written proposal to split the MA caption into Percussion Ensemble and Brass Ensemble.

Well written proposals are rare