2023 DCI Rules Congress proposals at-a-glance

Lance

With fewer shows and a shorter season, I think shorter shows and exhibition shows would not be well received by fans and I don’t think newer marching members need exhibition shows to get used to performing. If anything, I would think scores would be helpful to gauge improvement. The physical exertion reason for shorter shows make some sense, savings and lower potential costs less so. Props will cost the same no matter the length of the show. I have no idea how much it costs to design a show. Do they charge by the minute? Would that minute and a half really lower costs? 

• Like 3

Meh, I'm not so sure on number 4. 10 days is excessive for corps to go without scoring. Scoring provides a solid metric that is summative. Just blah, blah narrative criticism is great for staff, but this feedback doesn't resonate with the younger members like a numerical score can. 

All other suggestions are great. Really good year for rules proposals. 

• Like 2

I'm fine with all of these except shorter shows. Imagine the most iconic shows only being limited to 8-10 minutes. They'd probably have to cut out a lot. 

17 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m not happy with # 1. Is brass more important than percussion?

Hard nos on #2 & #4. I don’t want shorter shows. This isn’t BOA and I hate the idea of an exhibition season. Isn’t drum corps about competition? If not, let’s go with the 2021 type of season. 

Very much agree with this. I wonder if the impetus for this was to allow designers and staff to clean and finalize edits after getting some feedback. I am sure some designers and instructors feel the corps gets slotted early and they have little chance of moving up. Of course spring training is supposed to be the time you get as ready as you can, but now it seems they want some additional time to clean and address judges comments. 

How much is enough vs too much time? I would probably vote no on this, but I am not totally against it. If they had to do something like this pull it back to 1 week of tour. You get a 1-week grace period. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think newer marching members need exhibition shows to get used to performing. If anything, I would think scores would be helpful to gauge improvement.    

1 hour ago, radiosteele said:

10 days is excessive for corps to go without scoring. Scoring provides a solid metric that is summative.    

If this goes through, It's only a matter of time before there's a proposal for all finalist to get a medal.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Very much agree with this. I wonder if the impetus for this was to allow designers and staff to clean and finalize edits after getting some feedback. I am sure some designers and instructors feel the corps gets slotted early and they have little chance of moving up. Of course spring training is supposed to be the time you get as ready as you can, but now it seems they want some additional time to clean and address judges comments. 

How much is enough vs too much time? I would probably vote no on this, but I am not totally against it. If they had to do something like this pull it back to 1 week of tour. You get a 1-week grace period. 

They should have said that then instead of making it read like the kids are scared or intimidated by judging. Which is laughable since probably almost all of them have competed somewhere. 

• Like 2

Being in Oregon and having to drive 100+ miles for shows that often feature only 4-6 corps makes me hate the shorter-show proposal.

Between proposed shorter shows and the 2023 no-shows in Oregon and Washington, I'm struggling to stay engaged with DCI. For 2022 in Camas WA, all 4 corps graciously agreed to encore performances to make the audience feel like their time and money was well spent. I'm also hard pressed to see how a shorter show benefits a corps bottom line. Essentially the same corps costs, but less entertainment value for the attendees, less concessionaire time with the attendees, I don't get it.

--tg

• Like 3

I've changed my stance on #1.  I'm very brass oriented and didn't think about the impact on percussion. I want both brass and perc to have separate box judges.  Makes me think it probably won't pass.  #3 is still really big for me, though, which means it probably won't pass either.  😞

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They should have said that then instead of making it read like the kids are scared or intimidated by judging. Which is laughable since probably almost all of them have competed somewhere. 

Agree. This has nothing to do with the kids. This was about the design team wanting some feedback before scores so they could make changes in order to be more competitive once scoring begins. With a limited tour there is not much time to make big edits and / or to redesign portions of the show, and a low score could ultimately place them lower than where they think they should be. So essentially they are asking for a grace period. 

I don't think this passes because it's not in the best interest of other competing corps who have their act together from day 1 and are ready to rock n roll if you will. If the grace period was 2 or 3 shows then maybe I could see this passing. You figure 2 or 3 shows gives them about a week to react to judges comments. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

With fewer shows and a shorter season, I think shorter shows and exhibition shows would not be well received by fans and I don’t think newer marching members need exhibition shows to get used to performing. If anything, I would think scores would be helpful to gauge improvement. The physical exertion reason for shorter shows make some sense, savings and lower potential costs less so. Props will cost the same no matter the length of the show. I have no idea how much it costs to design a show. Do they charge by the minute? Would that minute and a half really lower costs? 

I think they’re trying to use 21 as a model for this. But that’s a bad comparison. In 21 people were just happy it was back 

• Like 2