Pulling the plug

Different people have different personal thresholds where they say no more, no dci for me this year.

I know of some who paid for tix, got caught in the entry fiasco at Finals last August, and decided that was their last straw. No more dci.

Others may have seen the ticket price increase and opted out. Others may compare 2022 w/SCV, SCVC,Legends who are not coming out and decided no (though Spirit, Columbians, and last I heard, Cascades are planning to come to Championships).

Even in past years, show trends, A&E, desire for different city and other factors caused some people to decide not to come to Indy.

If you are/were planning to come to Championships, what would be/was your personal tipping point when you decide(d) no, not worth making the trip any more?

Edited by wolfgang

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

Different people have different personal thresholds where they say no more, no dci for me this year.

I know of some who paid for tix, got caught in the entry fiasco at Finals last August, and decided that was their last straw. No more dci.

Others may have seen the ticket price increase and opted out. Others may compare 2022 w/SCV, SCVC,Legends who are not coming out and decided no (though Spirit, Columbians, and last I heard, Cascades are planning to come to Championships).

Even in past years, show trends, A&E, desire for different city and other factors caused some people to decide not to come to Indy.

If you are/were planning to come to Championships, what would be/was your personal tipping point when you decide(d) no, not worth making the trip any more?

Another year with shows like a couple this past year. Those shows went off the drum corps rails for me. I know others liked them, and they were performed well. But regarding my personal preferences prompting me to spend money on DCI shows, no thanks to more of that mess.

Already, this is my first year since 2013 that I did not go Friends of DCI or put my name in early for August seats. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjoakes said:

Another year with shows like a couple this past year. Those shows went off the drum corps rails for me. I know others liked them, and they were performed well. But regarding my personal preferences prompting me to spend money on DCI shows, no thanks to more of that mess.

Already, this is my first year since 2013 that I did not go Friends of DCI or put my name in early for August seats. 

We are also almost there.

• Like 1

Planning on going to finals this year. 
Only reason I wouldn't go is if I can't afford it, which is likely considering Im a broke college student.
That or BAC decides not to go to finals. 

Wow what a bunch of bah humbugs. Maybe the times have passed by I don’t know but the negativity is unpalatable. Have some respect for the current members and future members and their effort and dreams that need support. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Standrews said:

Hey, Tee. A very Merry Christmas to you and Jim.

And that OSU three against Rutgers was out of bounds. I'm not paying you that beer!

I get to see the Illini play in Tampa 1/2. I’m so excited.  I’ve never been to a bowl game and I get to see the Marching Illini! 🧡💙

Merry Christmas to you and the boss, too!   Christmas 🎄 

On 12/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, wolfgang said:

That's one more seat in the stands available for me, I guess.

There are those who take the perspective that DCI shows are the product, the public is the customer, the corps members are expected to do what the public demands, and buying/not buying DCI shows is a consumer entertainment choice right alongside whether to buy Netflix or Disney+.

Then there are those who take the perspective that the DCI experience is the product, the tuition-paying members are the customer, and the public is invited to support that relationship.

As for me, I'm in the second camp. There are ~3,500 young people who are going to invest in their lives by participating in DCI WC next year, and if they're happy, I'm happy. If DCI gives them what it promises to give them and what the young people want out of it, then I'm willing to spend a bit of my money to support -- and, yes, enjoy -- that.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4