#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

17 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I remember shows being 11.5 minutes min to 13 minutes max with execution judging stopping at 11.5 (followed by the requisite double starting gun blast). Not sure when that changed. 

1984   The switch to 100% subjective judging raised the scores and eliminated the 11.5 minute guns

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I still get chills when I listen to the early drum corps leaving the field to that double firing...As a performer it signaled the last opportunity to impress the crowd...And isn't that what we were there to do?..peace

It also signaled that now you can play that long open roll. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I still get chills when I listen to the early drum corps leaving the field to that double firing...As a performer it signaled the last opportunity to impress the crowd...And isn't that what we were there to do?..peace

For us it was like thank God, he's finally done loading up that score sheet with ticks. Did you see how full that thing was? Geesh. We'll be lucky to beat the St Mary's Cub Scout Cadet corps. 

• Haha 7

54 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

For us it was like thank God, he's finally done loading up that score sheet with ticks. Did you see how full that thing was? Geesh. We'll be lucky to beat the St Mary's Cub Scout Cadet corps. 

I heard a story about a corps getting zeroed out in drums and the drum guy asked why he did that and the judge because they wouldn’t let me give you a negative number. Ouch. Sick burn. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard a story about a corps getting zeroed out in drums and the drum guy asked why he did that and the judge because they wouldn’t let me give you a negative number. Ouch. Sick burn. 

I once zeroed a corps in drums when I judged in the GSC in the late 70’s. I felt terrible…that I had failed them. Kids did not deserve zeroes IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I once zeroed a corps in drums when I judged in the GSC in the late 70’s. I felt terrible…that I had failed them. Kids did not deserve zeroes IMO.

No, that just seems crazy in retrospect. I remember seeing a corps in 73 that got a total score of 7.7.  They’ll remain nameless.  And it was in September at the IDBCA show in Love Park AFTER DCI and VFW nationals. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

My corps was inactive 1973 and for 1974 just wanted do prelims to show we were back. Ended up being invited to show week before DCA. We learned ending drill day of the show and tic marks reflected that. 
“well first half of show we know and tic sheet was kind of grey. The we got to second half and it went to black”. We scored 37 and legend had it would have been lower but judges ran out of room for tic marks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My corps was inactive 1973 and for 1974 just wanted do prelims to show we were back. Ended up being invited to show week before DCA. We learned ending drill day of the show and tic marks reflected that. 
“well first half of show we know and tic sheet was kind of grey. The we got to second half and it went to black”. We scored 37 and legend had it would have been lower but judges ran out of room for tic marks.

Yikes

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, that just seems crazy in retrospect. I remember seeing a corps in 73 that got a total score of 7.7.  They’ll remain nameless.  And it was in September at the IDBCA show in Love Park AFTER DCI and VFW nationals. 

I think I remember a corps named Iron Cross who scored an 11 at an early show in either Chattanooga or ATL.  I guess it would have been the early 80s. I just remember they were small & rough.  

On 1/9/2023 at 11:49 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i can't remember the last time i saw a timing penalty in DCI unless someone took too long to set up their electronics

Didn't that happen to the Crossmen not too long ago, and almost cost them a finalist spot?

Of course, that was separate from the time they almost missed Finals due to the "warmup location violation" issue. LOL