New drum corps out west

21 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I saw that too and had the same thought initially. Then I thought why not cut them a little slack right out of the gate and starting from scratch. It can't be that easy to bring in a whole BOD of corps/business/managerial experts to any new organization. Give them a little time to get off the ground and work themselves into the community network and see what kind of interest they can draw from the types of folks qualified in those areas. 

Maybe. I appreciate you trying to be nice. But that board also could imply they haven't done the kind of due diligence and business planning needed upfront to lay the groundwork to be successful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Maybe. I appreciate you trying to be nice. But that board also could imply they haven't done the kind of due diligence and business planning needed upfront to lay the groundwork to be successful. 

Maybe, also. If that's true, there are some other SoundSport corps in the same situation, i.e.  educational staff also serving on BOD. 

It's SoundSport, after all. It's not like these organizations are dealing with million dollar budgets. They're like small corps I marched in. You fill holes where there's someone willing to fill it. If that's parents, staff or anyone else looking to volunteer, as long as they're not criminals, take them. 

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

In Wisconsin? I’m trying to figure this out. 

I remember reading a DCP thread about this a while back, but its been so long I can't remember anything more than I believe they were recent Scouts alum

Many years ago I taught a corps. A dad had three kids marching. His wife sewed uniforms and flags. His cousin was on the drill staff.

Since then, they have won several National Championships. My inclination would be to try to assist this new start-up, even if only with encouragement and moral support.

• Like 2