Play for pay?

I remember playing at the Lone Star Brewery in 99. I would have to imagine that was paid. Also Micro Magic did a couple of corporate gigs. I played one of them. It was weird to play in a ball room with a bunch of suits. 

37 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I remember playing at the Lone Star Brewery in 99. I would have to imagine that was paid. Also Micro Magic did a couple of corporate gigs. I played one of them. It was weird to play in a ball room with a bunch of suits. 

When stationed in San Antonio we had some social events at Lone Star Brewery. If they are wearing suits then they are not doing it right. 

• Like 1

Don't Corps get appearance fees for participating in Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades? 

I doubt the Reading Buccaneers perform in five separate Baltimore area Fourth parades (Dundalk, Towson, Arbutus, Catonsville, Bel Air) all for free.

Edited by ykw

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

SCV had some deal with the San Jose Sharks(?) as recently as ~2008-9. A little pick up drumline of local alum played for games I believe.

Also, pretty sure we marched a parade at Disney world in 2004. But that was probably a more in-depth partnership than pay-to-pay. Part of the Disney award. Still... there's precedence for some cool possibilities if that partnership hasn't been maintained. Disney's a partner whose potential financial support and consistency would probably outweigh any risk to values alignment for most drum corps.

Scroll down to "featured clients".  I think that's the San Jose Sharks' logo?

https://bdentertainment.com

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ykw said:

Don't Corps get appearance fees for participating in Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades? 

I doubt the Reading Buccaneers perform in five separate Baltimore area Fourth parades (Dundalk, Towson, Arbutus, Catonsville, Bel Air) all for free.

Depends on the area. Baltimore parades on the 4th are nicely paid. Parades I did there had sponsors for the corps that the parade committee set up. “And now sponsored by…: the …” Heard that at reviewing stand a few times.

Some places in the US (forget where) corps have paid to march for the publicity

Did grand re-opening at a lumber yard in mid 70s. No idea how that came about but got a mention in the full page newspaper ad. 
Memorable as spring and not everyone had uniforms yet. So horn line in buttoned up corps jackets, standing on blacktop on a hot day. Played the show once an hour for 3 hours and hung around in between. 🥵 
Few miles from my house so my family was there to drive me home. Got there and laid face down on the bed and woke up an hour later. Was probably freaking dehydrated 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

My HS jazz band played at some type of event at our local Arts Guild.  Played outdoors in the parking lot.  If we got paid for that gig, I didn't see a dime, and I was playing lead tenor sax, so I had several solos and features.  I imagine the band was "asked" or "invited" to play instead of having a DJ playing Beethoven's hits.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

My HS jazz band played at some type of event at our local Arts Guild.  Played outdoors in the parking lot.  If we got paid for that gig, I didn't see a dime, and I was playing lead tenor sax, so I had several solos and features.  I imagine the band was "asked" or "invited" to play instead of having a DJ playing Beethoven's hits.  

Lol my HS band always played at Pancake Breakfast at local Shriners temple. (Band director was a big wheel there.) Got “paid” with free breakfast after we were done. All the pancakes you want but only 2 sausages. For more sausages then shell out the $$$. 
Dang played there almost 50 years ago and still remember 2 sausages only. 😆

And more DC related they had a parade corps (and oriental band 🤪) but both gone. sold the building few years back as membership way down. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari