I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

39 minutes ago, craiga said:

The Mandarins can apparently afford tour (even coming to the east coast in 2023) but SCV cannot.   Wow.

Mandarins are a model of economic discipline, and have been for a long time. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I suspect that there is more info to come out (which some associated w/ SCV don't want coming out).  OP has done a great service giving us real info to work with, and this begs further answers from SCV.

Numbers seem to suggest that something isn't adding up - even when you include the cost of the 2022 tour (or what the DCP members think tour should have cost).  

Follow the money.

From Mark Felts lips to Bob Woodwards ears

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wow. a full forensic audit by non invested parties needs to be completed with full transparency

So now you are getting into juicy stuff here. 

See, the problem with that is SCV's current CFO discloses she was a forensic accountant in her LinkedIn profile. 

Worse yet, prior to her taking the position of CFO of SCV she was SCV's Board President for two years. 

Prior to her becoming the Board President she was the SCV Board Treasurer for 4 years, and the year prior to that she was an at large Director. 

All these can be validated by looking at the 990 of organization officers and duties. 

Now prior the CFO prior to her was also a Board member since 2013 (he came on to the Board as I left), and he spend 2 years as Treasurer prior to becoming CFO. 

Further what really pisses me off is when I was Board Treasurer all SCV had was an outsourced bookkeeper, an operations manager, and myself looking over the finances. After I left they took on a Finance Manager, and after he left they then made the position a Chief Financial Officer position. 

See where I am going with this, as the financial positions elevated in so called competency that was inversely correlated with financial performance.

Drum Corps is not a financial derivatives trading desk. We all just need a competent bookkeeper to track expenses and revenues in a manner that allows leadership to forecast where business is going. 

The most complicated financial analysis one has to do for a Drum Corps is decide how to set up it's operational borrowing. 

One year we tried to do a fuel futures contract hedge, but those contracts even on a single basis are so large that it dwarfs our fuel needs. So it needs to be executed in coordination with other corps to buy in on the contract. So now we were herding cats trying to get everyone who has no money to submit funds to buy the contract. It never happened, we never got enough buy in quick enough to make the hedge work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

See, the problem with that is SCV's current CFO discloses she was a forensic accountant in her LinkedIn profile. 

Worse yet, prior to her taking the position of CFO of SCV she was SCV's Board President for two years. 

Prior to her becoming the Board President she was the SCV Board Treasurer for 4 years, and the year prior to that she was an at large Director. 

All these can be validated by looking at the 990 of organization officers and duties. 

Now prior the CFO prior to her was also a Board member since 2013 (he came on to the Board as I left), and he spend 2 years as Treasurer prior to becoming CFO. 

Further what really pisses me off is when I was Board Treasurer all SCV had was an outsourced bookkeeper, an operations manager, and myself looking over the finances. After I left they took on a Finance Manager, and after he left they then made the position a Chief Financial Officer position. 

See where I am going with this, as the financial positions elevated in so called competency that was inversely correlated with financial performance.

Drum Corps is not a financial derivatives trading desk. We all just need a competent bookkeeper to track expenses and revenues in a manner that allows leadership to forecast where business is going. 

The most complicated financial analysis one has to do for a Drum Corps is decide how to set up it's operational borrowing. 

One year we tried to do a fuel futures contract hedge, but those contracts even on a single basis are so large that it dwarfs our fuel needs. So it needs to be executed in coordination with other corps to buy in on the contract. So now we were herding cats trying to get everyone who has no money to submit funds to buy the contract. It never happened, we never got enough buy in quick enough to make the hedge work. 

Keep doing what you are doing - this is important stuff you are posting.

PS - you are the early favorite for 'DCP Best New Poster for 2023'

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

I’m reading the financial areas (including verifying all is above board) is done in house and by same group of people?

In a non-dc group like that. Bylaws state board positions can be held for one term only. But they kept rotating people thru the chairs. Got so nobody outside that group wanted to run for office. They were scared what mess financials were really in and if they were elected would they be the fall guy if crap hit the fan.

Same group were experts in non-profit status legalities. We lost non-profit for years because “we always did it like this”. When we lost NP response was to fight the state instead of admitting they screwed up and fix their mess

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Daave said:

Are non profits allowed to engage in investing, if it is reported/reflected in the 990's?

Yes. More often it is the case that stocks will be donated to an organization or a targeted donation  will be made to purchase stocks. Since they take so long to mature, it is not recommended to buy municipal bonds, especially if the organization does not have to pay property tax. Many non profits purchase real estate as an investment. Rental income can be a steady source of income. 

• Like 2

Hell of a job described above and hard to get people willing to do it.

And to hell with anyone who betrays that job and the trust that goes with it. Makes it even harder to find people willing to do it. 

My only taste of it was 6 years of being a member of council (VP for a while 🙄) on a church that was going down the crapper. <rant going on in my mind but not putting it here 🥵> Impossible to find new members as they knew how much crap they would be getting when giving bad news.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It is probably best to realize that assuredly SCV isn’t the only corps with issues. This is just the one where someone with a lot of insight has come forward.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Yes. More often it is the case that stocks will be donated to an organization or a targeted donation  will be made to purchase stocks. Since they take so long to mature, it is not recommended to buy municipal bonds, especially if the organization does not have to pay property tax. Many non profits purchase real estate as an investment. Rental income can be a steady source of income. 

Thank you.  Initially, I was asking rhetorically and then had a Duck search confirm this.  I will defer to the OP on how this may or may not apply to SCV, as others have said to follow the money.  I was just wondering if poor investments (lost) may be something here?  I dunno.... seems just about this same time frame, some guy named Sam and his company lost a chunk of change.  Lots of people lost because of Sam and his company, it's said.  

Just trying to follow the money while channeling my very best Glenn Beck😂