Professional Drum and Bugle Corps!

2 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Just an idea that popped into my head....

Why not turn the remaining corps into professional drum corps? Members get paid. Corps are owned by wealthy people, etc. Get the idea?

I mused about this years ago.  How much of Bill Gates' or Jeff Bezos' billions would it take to fully fund DCI?  A drop in the bucket.  When Steve Balmer bought the Clippers, I thought that was an excellent opportunity to get ten or fifty million dollars from him.  It's just not an investment that gets a financial return, which is what those kind of folks expect.

2 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Just an idea that popped into my head....

Why not turn the remaining corps into professional drum corps? Members get paid. Corps are owned by wealthy people, etc. Get the idea?

this idea already works for a group of less than 10, who perform for the New York City Football Club.  they perform pre game, at the break, and after.  They're paid, they're fed.  But again, its a couple of each of trumpets, mellos, baris, a tuba, and a couple drummers.  

We do this with brass bands in and around NYC.  see also.. Tappan Zee Bridgemen.  (a couple trumpets, flugels, trombones, a tuba, and a couple drummers)  You can pay us to play your parade, festival, brewery...whatever.  But its all great players, making money to perform.  

It really only works with a small group. 

• Like 4

I think that’s sorta the problem DCI faces right now. Do we want DCI to continue as an education focused activity that I see as the equivalent to college sports, or do we want to go all in on the professional aspect and combine all of the corps into 3-5 professional groups? I personally think DCI should continue as it is, and try to find more corporate sponsorships or maybe even try to work out a deal with NCAA to receive funding that way. I think it’s good that DCI remains as a more education/high performance level activity for 14-21 year olds, since what’s so special about the activity is the opportunity young people have to grow as a person over the course of the summer, not just how good their show was. DCI is a vehicle for making better human beings through achieving something at a high level, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I personally think DCI should continue as it is; and, try to work out a deal with NCAA to receive funding. I truly believe that DCI should remain as a more education/high performance level activity for 14-21 year young adults, since what’s so special about the activity. Drum corps does indeed make a young adult a much better person.

I think that the NCAA and others are incorrect in paying a person for their (NIL) Name, Image and Likeness. And then, that same person who receives the NIL payments opts out of the final competition. Drum corps is different!!!

40 minutes ago, Musicroyal said:

I personally think DCI should continue as it is; and, try to work out a deal with NCAA to receive funding. I truly believe that DCI should remain as a more education/high performance level activity for 14-21 year young adults, since what’s so special about the activity. Drum corps does indeed make a young adult a much better person.

Much like DCI, the NCAA is simply the member organizations. There is zero reason for those individual schools to partner and share dollars with outside organizations. Drum corps have nothing financially to offer the NCAA schools. 

36 minutes ago, Musicroyal said:

I think that the NCAA and others are incorrect in paying a person for their (NIL) Name, Image and Likeness. And then, that same person who receives the NIL payments opts out of the final competition. Drum corps is different!!!

It isn't the NCAA's choice to allow NIL. They are required to allow it by law. If they had a choice (which they did for decades) they would keep 100% of that athlete-earned money for themselves. If the law changed tomorrow, they would gladly stop direct deposits tomorrow night.  

Edited by mingusmonk