High School Band Directors and Drum Corps

Even though I went to a tiny HS in the late 80's, the directors and instructors were almost all drum corps members/instructors (Garfield, Bridgemen, Caballeros, Buccaneers) that you would recognize today still. They definitely encouraged doing it, but there were only about 3 of us in the 6 years that I was affiliated with the band and its members that ever marched drum corps.

Edited by frachel

I think back in the day (70s, 80s) I sensed many HS band directors did not encourage it in and around NE Ohio. By the 90s it seemed to me more of them changed their mind or they just retired and newer faces took over the programs. 

For those that encourage it I think you have to let the student experience the differences between HS and College band vs the drum corps experience. I think you encourage them to take a shot and then let them soak it in first.

After they have the experience you can then have some positive talks about the differences.  You can help them understand why things run differently with Fall band. 

There are not huge numbers of young people joining drum corps in my area, but it seems that most who do attend high schools that compete in either NESBA or US Bands in the fall and have either color guards or percussion ensembles that compete in WGI. A person I know who used to recruit for a local OC corps at fall competitions claimed that he saw band directors who all but signed his young charges up for the corps and others who were outright hostile. 

I know there have been posts about kids who are penalized for marching DCI and missing band camp or summer practices. In Massachusetts there are policies in place that prohibit public schools from requiring students to participate in activities during the summer. For example, if a student athlete does not participate in “captain’s practices,” he/she cannot be prohibited from playing the sport. Coaches cannot have mandatory practices until two weeks before the season begins which is usually the week before school begins. I know it applies to drama programs because a case went to court because a kid was not cast in a show for not attending a summer drama workshop. My guess would be a kid who marched DCI  would  not be penalized. 

One thing to keep in mind. Coaches can tell loads of stories about athletes who attend exclusive sports camps or play for highly competitive travel teams who think they are better than other players. Kids who attend drama camps return believing they are better than Broadway stars. English teachers have difficulties with aspiring writers who attend writing workshops, and there are posts with kids who marched who return to their school programs filled with arrogance. Some directors may resent DCI, but some who don’t encourage may be trying to keep the peace. 

I know the OP asked for responses from band directors, but like others I have a story from the 80's. Our percussion caption head explicitly prohibited any of us from marching DCI during high school. He once said 'just stay here for four years and then I'll get you in any corps you want'. 

But this rule did not apply to the horn line. In 1983 our band camp was the week after DCI finals, and we had at least four horn players that marched for Cadets and Phantom that summer. They didn't arrive at camp until Monday but all four of them looked like zombies the entire week. In retrospect, I don't think it was healthy for someone to do a DCI summer tour and then jump right into high school band. I personally think the kids need a mental break from a DCI tour. And also the quality difference is so stark (even to a top high school band), so that mental aspect of that too is a lot for a high school kid. In retrospect, I can understand why a band director would discourage kids from doing DCI and fall high school marching band in the same year.

Edited by PeterGibbons
removed something

24 minutes ago, PeterGibbons said:

I personally think the kids need a mental break from a DCI tour. And also the quality difference is so stark (even to a top high school band), so that mental aspect of that too is a lot for a high school kid.

Piggybacking here...

The younger members of our community who marched last season seemed to express that they were having depression-like symptoms after tour. (Admittedly, when tour ends, it can be like the bottom of the experience just falls out and you're left, quiet suddenly, with only memories. It's jarring.)

I think most vets/alum walk away from the summer just fine. But if even a few are experiencing depression-like symptoms, we should be taking a closer look at that whether they go back to high school, college, a job, or whatever.

Depression from drum corps withdrawal is the last thing this generation needs to be going through in this crazy-*** world.

• Like 2

The last band I taught from 1994 thru 2017 had a number of corps members in the late 80's that came back from tour and basically tore the band apart. It took the director a few years to build it back up. After that experience he never suggested any of the kids march while in HS. Some did after their HS careers ended.

A lot of the students in our district did other things in the summer, between activities and family trips, so having a blanket rule about band camp being mandatory would have kept kids form marching even if they wanted. Our music arranger through the 2002 season used to try and get the director to suggest DCA to the kids, but again, the heaviest part of the DCA season would have been during band camp. Some went on the DCA after they graduated, with the director's blessing. 

I probably never would have marched were it not for my high school band director. He had marched in Velvet Knights and would often have PBS broadcasts he had taped playing in the band room before class or practices. A lot of the instructors had marched in various corps as well. They definitely encouraged those who showed interest in it to do it. In my four years, about 25 of us marched drum corps.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:20 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Just throwing out a question as i prepare to get involved with the leadership of a drum corps. 

For High School Band Directors... do you "forbid" your marching band members to participate in DCI? Do you "encourage" your marching band members to participate in DCI? Do you have a "case by case" policy that relies on the attitude of the individual kid in question? Have you seen returning kids be a positive? A negative? Do you have enough data to relate the ratio of "positive experiences" to "negative experiences"? 

I know the "war stories" in general. And i'm operating from a premise that the "risk is worth the reward" to allow high school marchers participate understanding that the risk is they may return to the high school marching band with an attitude of "superiority" and "negativity". 

What say you DCP?

My director doesn’t encourage us, at least this year (a 3rd of us were rookies) but we have a guy who recruits for Minnesota Brass

On 2/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

I think this is where I'm at...case by case. Kid by kid. That said...the corps I will be working with is in an area that has an embarrassment of talent available...directed by high school directors that in large part have a zero tolerance policy on highschoolers marching. It's school by school...but most have that policy. One of my initial goals is to approach directors with an honest look at the "risk/reward" of a kid participating. I think most are focusing on the risk...without seriously pondering the reward. I don't want to poo-poo the risk. We've all heard the horror stories of the kid that comes back and ends up being a pain in the ### to everyone ( his classmates, directors, other band leaders, etc.). I just don't think the "other side" gets enough promotion. The kid that comes back and can effectively be a "player coach" in assistance to his director. 

If I were a director ( I'm not...so it's easy to say)...I'd let kids APPLY to march DCI...and upon acceptance sign an agreement with the HS director of what is and is NOT expected of said kid when they return to the high school program. 

So how exactly does a HS Band Director enforce a "zero tolerence" policy about participating in an outside activity that is not school related?  Especially when said band director is employed by a public school system?  I've always wondered.

14 hours ago, TwoValves said:

So how exactly does a HS Band Director enforce a "zero tolerence" policy about participating in an outside activity that is not school related?  Especially when said band director is employed by a public school system?  I've always wondered.

In my day it was simple. You got cut or made an alternate. Which could be justified given the student wouldn't be available for summer practice and/or camp.