Troopers 2023

Did DCI ever vote to permit woodwinds? Or is the harmonica synth?

4 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

Did DCI ever vote to permit woodwinds? Or is the harmonica synth?

It's a real harmonica but I bet it gets past the rules as a percussive instrument. I know years ago someone used an instrument under it being a pit instrument when it clearly wasn't. 

From dictionary.com

noun

1.Also called mouth organ. a musical wind instrument consisting of a small rectangular case containing a set of metal reeds connected to a row of holes, over which the player places the mouth and exhales and inhales to produce the tones.

2.any of various percussion instruments that use graduated bars of metal or other hard material as sounding elements.

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Thanks 1

So perhaps the reeds being metal is their workaround? I have always seen the instrument considered a woodwind previously.

Edited by Super Don-O

I'm loving TLTS.  Looking at the recaps in the last couple shows, the Troopers are getting high marks for Music and Percussion.  Still lots of cleaning to do visually which is hurting them.  If they can get Guard and Visuals cleaned up, I truly believe this will be the highest scoring year in Troopers history.

• Like 1

Question.. if DCI actually did rule the harmonica as illegal instrumentation, could Troopers just record it as play it back as a 'sound effect'?

34 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

They'd have to play it back one note at a time. That's why the current state of the rules is silly. You can't play the real instrument, but faking it on a synth is fine. I wish DCI would allow for like a "5 or fewer "anything goes"" instruments for cases like this.

Ready the sax quartet for Bloo.  [dons my nomex suit]

55 minutes ago, phan1738 said:

Question.. if DCI actually did rule the harmonica as illegal instrumentation, could Troopers just record it as play it back as a 'sound effect'?

Kind of like recording your own horn line, then changing the pitch and coming back in again on a different chord after you do a visual "tilt"?