Weather or not

45 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

There are some domed college stadiums. Just their location probably puts them out of the running to host I would assume?

Carrier Dome in Syracuse University 

Kibble Dome Idaho University 

Fargo Dome North Dakota State University 

Good place to hold DCI North

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Good place to hold DCI North

Not sure what it sounds like in person, but I watched a North Dakota State football game on TV. During a timeout in the 1st Qtr, the band started playing. By the time the echo stopped, the winning team was lining up in victory formation at the end of the game. 

• Haha 7

I would prefer to watch and hear drum corps in an open-roofed Lucas Oil Stadium. How much notice would be needed to make a call for an open roof event if the weather looks good before events. 24 hours?, 48 hours?, 72 hours? What would be the cost to request having the roof opened and/or closed? When Lucas Oil was first announced many years ago, I assumed that DCI could hold open-roofed events. The Colts organization has been able to make that decision from time to time.

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

Gillette makes small improvements each year and bigger ones as needed. LOS seems to be pretty much the same. A major overhaul is probably in the works and when that happens, the cost to use the stadium will rise. 

Did finals week at Gillette have corps begin 180 degrees different than Semis/Finals to save the grass?  

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

I would prefer to watch and hear drum corps in an open-roofed Lucas Oil Stadium. How much notice would be needed to make a call for an open roof event if the weather looks good before events. 24 hours?, 48 hours?, 72 hours? What would be the cost to request having the roof opened and/or closed? When Lucas Oil was first announced many years ago, I assumed that DCI could hold open-roofed events. The Colts organization has been able to make that decision from time to time.

Iirc part of DCI’s spiel to us old timers re LOS was that the roof would be open if possible.   Has it ever been open for a DCI event?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Iirc part of DCI’s spiel to us old timers re LOS was that the roof would be open if possible.   Has it ever been open for a DCI event?

I remember clearly in 2011 if the roof had been open, what a disaster it would have been. An announcement NOT to go near exits and the collapse of a stage due to a sudden violent deadly storm not far away.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I remember clearly in 2011 if the roof had been open, what a disaster it would have been. An announcement NOT to go near exits and the collapse of a stage due to a sudden violent deadly storm not far away.

I might be wrong, but wasn't there also a pretty violent storm that ripped thru Indy Finals night 2015 or 2016?

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Wouldn’t it be neat if DCI stopped scraping-by, living season-to-season, slowly dying?  

What DCI needs is a vision of the future to work towards (not the G7 vision).  

Make 10-year plan, with clear metrics to grow the activity.  Embrace and nourish small, open-class Corps.  Add 10% more shows each season.  Bring costs down by restricting tour to regions the first half of season.  Sell the product (Corps competition) like DCM used to do - a colorful add-on to your  local festival (yes parades will happen.  But that advertises what public, not familiar with Drum Corps, can see at the competition). Look into economies of scale for transportation and food.  

i'm not saying their plan is genius. i am just saying what it is.

8 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Pity there are no university domed stadiums. The NFL domed stadiums have priced themselves out of DCI's league now. (Atlanta's Mercedes Benz being the worst example). DCI needs to hope Lucas will continue to give them a special long-term rate. 

Syracuse, but the logistics surrounding the venue is horrible and the sound worse

4 hours ago, denverjohn said:

open roof there won't fix anything. that glass going up on the sides makes the sound worse. plus the field has no drainage and as we have seen Indy in August can bring horrible storms