How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I saw you 3 times that summer in Washington DC shows.  Last one was literally 2 miles from my house.  Was neat to watch how show grew over time.  

This is something that I still look back on fondly about 2015 and 2016.  I paid for Flo and got to watch the shows progress from the first show to Finals.  To me, that's the best aspect of what Flo could provide, and if they ever got a crew that knew how to broadcast from Day 1, it would really help sell the product.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, denverjohn said:

From my viewpoint and ears sitting in the endzone stands in Dallas in 1971, I thought that the reverse happened the year earlier. (Phasing in Saber Dance?)

Something definitely happened to Blue Rock and Argonne, and 27th as well.

8/18/1971     8/19/1971    
  Dallas, TX     Dallas, TX  
  VFW National Prelims     VFW National Finals
1 Vanguard 91.70 1 Vanguard 89.95
2 Blue Rock 91.25 2 Troopers 89.00
3 Troopers 91.10 3 27th Lancers 88.85
4 Argonne Rebels 90.75 4 Blue Rock 88.20
5 Anaheim Kingsmen 90.20 5 Anaheim Kingsmen 87.75
6 27th Lancers 90.00 6 Argonne Rebels 87.35
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, denverjohn said:

From my viewpoint and ears sitting in the endzone stands in Dallas in 1971, I thought that the reverse happened the year earlier. (Phasing in Saber Dance?)

I don't recall that,  I just know we didn't do our best at VFW finals in 1971 and it was soooo hot I would have welcomed death.  SCV deserved it that year, but not the next. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, 84BDsop said:

Actually, Garfield was 9th on the field, 4th in ensemble.... overall they placed 7th in percussion...the lowest caption for a winning corps.

That's a tie actually.  Kingsmen placed 7th in M&M in '72.  A couple of times music analysis saved SCV from placing 7th or 8th in brass.   1973 - 8th in brass performance   1978 - 7th in brass performance   The lowest any champion has placed in a single subcaption is 9th, Cadets in field percussion in '84, Kingsmen in M&M in '72, and SCV in brass in '73.

It still befuddles me that while Vanguard played the best music book, they were only the 8th best horn line and yet still won by 2.5 points.

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

It still befuddles me that while Vanguard played the best music book, they were only the 8th best horn line and yet still won by 2.5 points.

I don't remember SCV ever being all that strong in Brass Execution during much of the 70s. Looking at that 73 recap, holy smoke - the 12th place Commodores beat SCV in Execution. Yes, they played a ton of memorable music and MA scores were at or near the top. Maybe they were playing books over their heads, brass people can comment on that. They were probably charts ahead of their times at any rate. Percussion of course, GE and M&M were tops or close to it. Got to remember too in 73, Madison, Argonne and even the Blue Stars were all really good brass lines. 

7 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't remember SCV ever being all that strong in Brass Execution during much of the 70s. Looking at that 73 recap, holy smoke - the 12th place Commodores beat SCV in Execution. Yes, they played a ton of memorable music and MA scores were at or near the top. Maybe they were playing books over their heads, brass people can comment on that. They were probably charts ahead of their times at any rate. Percussion of course, GE and M&M were tops or close to it. Got to remember too in 73, Madison, Argonne and even the Blue Stars were all really good brass lines. 

SCV got way better in brass in 1981. 

10 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I believe Jim Ott was Commodore’s brass instructor in 73.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mfrontz said:

92 finals

SCV and Crossmen had great runs.

Phantom didn't and was beaten by both corps for the first time all year.

It was very noticeable that night too. A few of us looked at each other after their show and knew something was up. They played angry...and not the good kind of angry. Even their Retreat playoff was really angry and ugly sounding. I believe some Phantom alumni had some comments on this years ago. I forget the details but I don't think Phantom had a bad performance because of nerves. It was something different. They had a nice show and a very good and talented corps most of the summer. 

I was impressed with Crossmen the most and they were one of the corps I thought could beat Phantom on the right night - even had Phantom performed better. SCV was kind of a shocker. Did not see them passing up Phantom. Nice show, just kind of rough around the edges in most captions through most of the season. The Crossmen's 1992 music book is still one of my favorites from that decade - as were 90 and 91. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I believe Jim Ott was Commodore’s brass instructor in 73.  

And Sandra Opie handled brass for Argonne.  No shame losing to both of them!

The difficulty levels of Blue Stars brass and percussion books is what kept them from challenging SCV in '73.  They finished 7th in music analysis and 10th in percussion analysis.  That was literally the 2.5 points separating the two.

• Like 2