Mandarins 2023

I'm really happy to be alive watching a group i came to admire in the 2009/2010, and had wondering great thoughts towards them for future drum corps. Fast forward and here we are now, watching a rise and growth like I've never seen before. They're resilient, strong, competitive and talented. My respect to the designing team, they know how to keep us interested and entertained at an high level. I hope for the best, and it wouldn't surprise me if they made it into the top 6 this year. All things are possible when you have everything right going for you. 🫶

Chief Congratulation! Your son is one talented lad and deserve to be among the best.

Go Mandarins! here's to great season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I'm really happy to be alive watching a group i came to admire in the 2009/2010, and had wondering great thoughts towards them for future drum corps. Fast forward and here we are now, watching a rise and growth like I've never seen before. They're resilient, strong, competitive and talented. My respect to the designing team, they know how to keep us interested and entertained at an high level. I hope for the best, and it wouldn't surprise me if they made it into the top 6 this year. All things are possible when you have everything right going for you. 🫶

Chief Congratulation! Your son is one talented lad and deserve to be among the best.

Go Mandarins! here's to great season.

Thanks brother! I think they are definitely a threat for top six. 

I tried telling some people this is NOT the Mandarins of old. They are for real.

That ballad................will get a standing ovation in Indy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

Chief,

always appreciated the talent in Mandarins over the years, but never really emotionally connected. This year is so different. I pretty much love everything about them, from their music choices to the unis!  You and your wife must be bursting with pride. One question:  how do you watch the whole unit when your eye keeps looking for your son?

this show should stack up well against everyone else. 

Thanks sister! 

It's definitely hard watching your kid and then trying to see everything else going on. Especially with this show! Mandarins have so much going on, your eyes are trying to take you everywhere lol. 

• Like 2

Let's hope.by San Antonio they make enough of an impact that judges don't just automatically slot them in the 9 to 10 range and they actually get a fair chance at top 6.  Agree or disagree, perception of a corp exists in judges minds and 100% impacts their rankings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love Mandarin's style and Ben Pyle's writing for them but I saw they scored a bit lower in drums than I would have expected. I can't tell if it is just Mapex drums or their snare tuning but I just didn't hear any clarity or blend well with the brass. Lots videos don't seem to have great clarity at lower stick heights.

Just watched the Cadets. I think Mandarins have them beat!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, DrumManTx said:

Satanic Jagged Line.  Love it 😈

You ain't wrong 

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Thanks brother! I think they are definitely a threat for top six. 

I tried telling some people this is NOT the Mandarins of old. They are for real.

That ballad................will get a standing ovation in Indy. 

Don’t forget the Mandarins of old old have a long history of championships 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Just watched the Cadets. I think Mandarins have them beat!

San Antonio will be interesting.

I'm very happy with Cavaliers progress. Sorry for not posting, but I'm living this celebration!

They really didn't have time to practice much with the Gala last night and the rain today but they made big strides in the show alteady.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1