What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

20 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIrc they didn’t do BLL last season, but entire day was on Flo

I watched BLL in the theater last year while my brother watched on Flo. Flo used the BLL crew. Rondinaro & company.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

That seems easily avoidable by trivial means that meet the technical requirements, such as standing still and playing scales for 3 minutes.

I remember the occasional Corps that would go to Parade Rest for several minutes to meet time requirements in early season.  The GE judges usually didn't reward this well at all.  Take the penalty, or take the GE hit.  Or, manage your off-season properly & give the paying customer what they paid money to see.

4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I get the frustration for sure but it seems pretty clear that many corps’ main priority, during ST, is increasingly less about learning the show and more about being prepared to handle the physical demands of the show, doing the building blocks of conditioning, strength- and movement training that they’ll need to have a successful, *healthy*, *low-injury*, endurance-friendly summer.

Conditioning is obviously not new but the approach to it in the activity has clearly changed. Risk of injury is a lot higher. Stamina is harder-won. The “30 seconds of drill per day” ST expectation just isn’t the game some corps are playing anymore. They’re in it for the long game. And if that means incomplete shows after ST, but fewer preventable injuries over the summer, so be it, IMO. 

Part one. Absolutely. The performers aren't gladiators, and any of us who did this would agree. I still remember telling parents of a top end HS band in a circuit that when they raised Cain about the championships being taken indoors due to ice, freezing rain, and 40+MPH winds. They STILL weren't happy. Dealing with that lot in general was dealing with crazed lunatics. Take care of people. Be kind. There's enough regarding individuals as expendable fodder out there as it is.

Part two. "I have no patience for incomplete shows in Marching Music's Major League. "

Also agreed. Can we include DCA into that as well, please? There was an early DCA contest a couple of years back that even kept admission prices down because they knew it would happen. At least I sat next to some great people from the Keystoners who through one degree of separation knew several good friends of mine as well who came to Westshore (there's yet another corps folding that helped ours as per a previous post!) and made things enjoyable. Some DCA corps aren't really ready to show a remotely true meaningful performance until Labor Day. It's gotten to the point where I wonder if it's worth going to a contest to see half baked dough and a pie shell and a can of blueberry pie filling from many of the competitors. Well... at least you can pop open the filling can and spoon some out of you're an optimist.

Fans expect more at these levels. At least a semblance of completion like Blue Coats 2014, where the early season ending was very different, yet still blew away the audience when I saw it. At least an illusion of "That's really good !" when it still needs cleaning under the DCI microscope.

Add to this the nature of the beast when the numbers game enters. Completeness enters into the numbers. Can the changes or additions later make a real difference or is the corps permanently stuck in that slot for the rest of the season? The arguments here are never ending on that issue. The real answer, is "maybe... depends..." (no one likes that ambiguity BTW), and will the staffs want to take any risk of that sort by cutting down rehearsal times?

Even though on the face of it, cutting down rehearsal times is a great idea... there's a lot of issues underneath that give cause to think.

Edited by BigW

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Can the changes or additions later make a real difference or is the corps permanently stuck in that slot for the rest of the season? The arguments here are never ending on that issue. The real answer, is "maybe... depends..." (no one likes that ambiguity BTW), and will the staffs want to take any risk of that sort by cutting down rehearsal times?

Early last month, I started a thread basically asking this question. Because every season, we always hear "Wait until corps (insert name) adds their closer, which normally ends up resulting in little to no movement in placement. 

Based off comments in the thread, BD 2015, Phantom 2008, and 1991 Star were the ones routinely brought up as adding the closer or major changes late in the season made a difference. 

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Are all 180 potential performers (I know only 165 on field at a time), or does the 180 include interns, metronome techs, etc?

I am informed that all are performers/alternates. It may be that the alts get to do other jobs on the road but they are there to shadow, learn, and eventually perform.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

@IllianaLancerContra said they didn’t have BLL last year.  I don’t know because I was there. 

oh i forgot. i ws trapped in an amusement park against my will

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do you have intel that says that BLL will happen?   Didn’t happen last year & now that 50th is past it seems DCI is in a more austere mindset.  Does BLL make $ for DCI?

i was just assuming, as i said in my previous post, i forgot BLL didn't happen last year

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim said one corps has ST for 43 days.  Is that true? How many days is the actual season? 

St is out of control. talk about cash drain....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And the crazy thing is typically several Corps exit ST with incomplete shows.

I am tracking it this year & plan to name names when appropriate.

they don't care and 3 weeks half the endings will change anyway