What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

5 hours ago, BigW said:

The poster may be right. It might be the best season ever, great bread and circuses and even without a mainstay of DCI for the last 50 years in competition. My gall bladder was removed years ago. I held off on the removal so I could play with my alumni corps. My prostate went last month. My tonsils when I was 8. Age is irrelevant to the discussion, and a rather condescending comment to make. What original equipment pieces I still possess also make no difference to my perceptions or thoughts.

The post is so typical of the "nothing to see here, nothing is wrong, go away", then make mocking comments school I see time and time again here when someone brings up things that make others uncomfortable.

Like when...

- things were brought up about two DCI at the time HoF directors that nose dived one of their corps nearly into oblivion and got the other one rendered effectively inactive through their behaviors that had been called out here.

-A DCA corps had made serious efforts to bury the fact they had someone on Megan's list performing with them by threatening individuals in various ways to shut them up, and some of the members even made excuses here. Eventually someone doxxed out the secret here, and even then there were the "nothing to see here" crowds defending the decisions. (individual railroaded, even though the jury found them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.... they deserved a second chance...umm, absolutely NOT...), and I pointed out at the time that the appeal in the linked official court documents didn't appeal the guilt, but the severity of sentence. They went away. So did the corps.

- the recent SCV thread has shown there are elements in control at SCV doing the same thing. "Hush up, nothing to see here, go away or we'll drop the banhammer on you" when there's a real issue that they don't like having made public, even though the public documents are out there.

So be aware that that kind of standpoint usually is a repeated failure. Look carefully at a lot of historical trends.

Corps historically don't care about the well-being of their competitors. In fact, if they fail or have trouble, it's a benefit. They can get members, staff, and it's one less threat at championships. Jim and Jeff can vouch for the benefits of how Westshore got many great individuals from the failure of the Yankee-Rebels, as well as folks from Erie, Rochester, Johnsonburg, and Steel City when those corps had trouble. It's still like that. the OP in the Vanguard posted how some performers have landed with other corps and how he was happy they did, but he felt bad they didn't get the experience they'd hoped for. Whining? Really? Come on.

The problem is, everyone's running out of corps to fail. One individual posted that no World Class corps has started in 7 years. In that time, one's gone inactive for this season, and another was basically suspended until a leadership change was done, and that's not likely to happen. Unless someone can find a well-heeled and financially savvy person like Mr. Cook, it's doubtful anyone can build one from the ground up and get it really competitive. As has been said by a mentor of mine on DCP, it's a walk to the gallows, the question is slower, or faster? The bread and circuses might be fine for now or a few years, but is it sustainable? There was a huge ruckus when the G6 proposal was leaked. That would have likely wiped out everyone but the G6, and indirectly, one of the masterminds behind it was moaning at the time how they weren't getting the best performers to audition anymore. Wiping out a few competitors may have helped their cause. It was likely a motive. Take the cream of the cream, and make lip service to education. Is it the answer? It's worth discussing.

All just my tuppence. It's headed to some kind of tipping point in DCI and DCA. I'm not knowing when for either.

Speaking of bread and circuses, Jim, if you're going to Dover, I'll take a personal day. I really dug your comment earlier. I'll show for the performers in Open who work just as hard. 3AM, time for bed. 

It’s like this here. 
giphy.gif

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

The poster may be right. It might be the best season ever, great bread and circuses and even without a mainstay of DCI for the last 50 years in competition. My gall bladder was removed years ago. I held off on the removal so I could play with my alumni corps. My prostate went last month. My tonsils when I was 8. Age is irrelevant to the discussion, and a rather condescending comment to make. What original equipment pieces I still possess also make no difference to my perceptions or thoughts.

The post is so typical of the "nothing to see here, nothing is wrong, go away", then make mocking comments school I see time and time again here when someone brings up things that make others uncomfortable.

Like when...

- things were brought up about two DCI at the time HoF directors that nose dived one of their corps nearly into oblivion and got the other one rendered effectively inactive through their behaviors that had been called out here.

-A DCA corps had made serious efforts to bury the fact they had someone on Megan's list performing with them by threatening individuals in various ways to shut them up, and some of the members even made excuses here. Eventually someone doxxed out the secret here, and even then there were the "nothing to see here" crowds defending the decisions. (individual railroaded, even though the jury found them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.... they deserved a second chance...umm, absolutely NOT...), and I pointed out at the time that the appeal in the linked official court documents didn't appeal the guilt, but the severity of sentence. They went away. So did the corps.

- the recent SCV thread has shown there are elements in control at SCV doing the same thing. "Hush up, nothing to see here, go away or we'll drop the banhammer on you" when there's a real issue that they don't like having made public, even though the public documents are out there.

So be aware that that kind of standpoint usually is a repeated failure. Look carefully at a lot of historical trends.

Corps historically don't care about the well-being of their competitors. In fact, if they fail or have trouble, it's a benefit. They can get members, staff, and it's one less threat at championships. Jim and Jeff can vouch for the benefits of how Westshore got many great individuals from the failure of the Yankee-Rebels, as well as folks from Erie, Rochester, Johnsonburg, and Steel City when those corps had trouble. It's still like that. the OP in the Vanguard posted how some performers have landed with other corps and how he was happy they did, but he felt bad they didn't get the experience they'd hoped for. Whining? Really? Come on.

The problem is, everyone's running out of corps to fail. One individual posted that no World Class corps has started in 7 years. In that time, one's gone inactive for this season, and another was basically suspended until a leadership change was done, and that's not likely to happen. Unless someone can find a well-heeled and financially savvy person like Mr. Cook, it's doubtful anyone can build one from the ground up and get it really competitive. As has been said by a mentor of mine on DCP, it's a walk to the gallows, the question is slower, or faster? The bread and circuses might be fine for now or a few years, but is it sustainable? There was a huge ruckus when the G6 proposal was leaked. That would have likely wiped out everyone but the G6, and indirectly, one of the masterminds behind it was moaning at the time how they weren't getting the best performers to audition anymore. Wiping out a few competitors may have helped their cause. It was likely a motive. Take the cream of the cream, and make lip service to education. Is it the answer? It's worth discussing.

All just my tuppence. It's headed to some kind of tipping point in DCI and DCA. I'm not knowing when for either.

Speaking of bread and circuses, Jim, if you're going to Dover, I'll take a personal day. I really dug your comment earlier. I'll show for the performers in Open who work just as hard. 3AM, time for bed. 

You wouldn’t believe the threats we got.  I had to contact our attorney.  He told me something very profound that I’ve never forgotten: “The absolute truth is your best defense”.  We were telling the absolute truth. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s like this here. 
giphy.gif

Won’t name the DCP/RAMD member and haven’t seen him post for a while. Discussion was comparison between BITD and today regarding number of corps and corps failing. 
Quote was something like: we always had corps going inactive BITD but the difference is then there were new corps coming up to take their place. Today we don’t have the new corps being created. So when we lose a corps, that’s it.

And BigW I’ll let you know about Dover. Have a family member in home hospice and family property to deal with. Been taking everything day by day.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

You wouldn’t believe the threats we got.  I had to contact our attorney.  He told me something very profound that I’ve never forgotten: “The absolute truth is your best defense”.  We were telling the absolute truth. 

For better or worse, I'm not getting threats, so, in some fd up way perhaps there's improvement there. That doesn't make what y'all endured acceptable in any way and I've always looked up to y'all for stepping forward first. As well as the others who did so before me and a small subset of my own enablers.

I've only experienced character assassination attempts and sabotage of my efforts from my lovely alumni peers. Fear of retaliation is the common theme of the other reporters though. Fortunately, some of alum are quietly actually helping me too.

The absolute truth is also my best defense.

That you were threatened doesn't surprise me and still boils my blood. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Won’t name the DCP/RAMD member and haven’t seen him post for a while. Discussion was comparison between BITD and today regarding number of corps and corps failing. 
Quote was something like: we always had corps going inactive BITD but the difference is then there were new corps coming up to take their place. Today we don’t have the new corps being created. So when we lose a corps, that’s it.

And BigW I’ll let you know about Dover. Have a family member in home hospice and family property to deal with. Been taking everything day by day.

Stuff is crazy here too. Which is why I'd take a personal day and go see a show with an old friend. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For better or worse, I'm not getting threats, so, in some fd up way perhaps there's improvement there. That doesn't make what y'all endured acceptable in any way and I've always looked up to y'all for stepping forward first. As well as the others who did so before me and a small subset of my own enablers.

I've only experienced character assassination attempts and sabotage of my efforts from my lovely alumni peers. Fear of retaliation is the common theme of the other reporters though. Fortunately, some of alum are quietly actually helping me too.

The absolute truth is also my best defense.

That you were threatened doesn't surprise me and still boils my blood. Thank you for sharing.

It breaks my heart to hear of your experience. In 6 seasons, There were only 3-4 individuals that I really would like to avoid out of hundreds I performed with.

Jim, and others were very, very kind to a goofy, eccentric 16 year old rookie like myself who wanted to do more than my HS experience and play the Baritone hard. I've never forgotten their kindness and am always happy to see them. I hope you found people like that in your experience, though it may not offset the negatives.

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Which is why I proposed 20 day limit.  10 min show means 30 seconds of new material per day.  People in Marching Music's Major League should be able to handle that.

I didn't march, so I'd appreciate it if someone could explain this to me :

My college marching band (Ohio University Marching 110) had a one week Training Week.

In that time, they did auditions (marching and playing) , pregame, first show and post game.

The members are 18-23 ,same as most WC corps.

In fact our band usually has several members from corps.

If I'm correct, the corps have been practicing their music all winter.

Even 20 days seems like a long time to learn 10-12 minutes of drill.

Especially for the top W/C corps.

• Like 1

Even though this will get backlash or at least be met with some sort of contention, I'll be honest I miss the Tour of Champions. It was able to sell tickets when it remained the true Tour of Champions model. Granted I understand logistics suck, but it drew crowds.