What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

Kinda got off topic and the OP (me) added to it. Mods please keep this open as getting close to the season and would like to see if what is discussed here shows up as corps do their touring.

PS In 90s at Kings Dominion “Days of Thunder” ride based on the Tom Cruise NASCAR movie. You sit in seats that jerk you around like you’re driving a race car while watching the big screen. We decided to sit in the seats that don’t move and thanked the heavens we did. People were not walking out too straight. 😨

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, BigW said:

I think, Jim, that the only thing that can really be changed is how some corps raise funds and the need to increase funding. Money seems to be the hangup and getting that money. Cost cutting seems to not be desired, nor would it really help in many instances. Too many consequences when some of the cost saving possibilities are examined. Cause and effect.

F1 has established a spending cap, but I can't see that happening here. 

There needs to be better development overall.  Again, this is a tough barrier.

However, housing could be better managed and there could be a better exchange between show appearance fees, versus housing provided.   IF you change how many days of housing are provided for FREE, in exchange for show operators (the few who aren't DCI adjacent) you could really make a dent in corps costs.  You have to feed the corps, you have to rent equipment to move everything (at a monthly rate for cost efficiency), and you have to house the corps.  When schools were free for use, this activity cost much less. 

Gotta find a way to get more show ops, who can keep what they make off of ticket sales and concessions, and then have them provide 3 days minimum for each group at sponsored schools.  That may change the costs issue of this activity pretty drastically.  But again, this requires a full overhaul of how tour and show sponsors is handled. 

1 minute ago, C.Holland said:

There needs to be better development overall.  Again, this is a tough barrier.

However, housing could be better managed and there could be a better exchange between show appearance fees, versus housing provided.   IF you change how many days of housing are provided for FREE, in exchange for show operators (the few who aren't DCI adjacent) you could really make a dent in corps costs.  You have to feed the corps, you have to rent equipment to move everything (at a monthly rate for cost efficiency), and you have to house the corps.  When schools were free for use, this activity cost much less. 

Gotta find a way to get more show ops, who can keep what they make off of ticket sales and concessions, and then have them provide 3 days minimum for each group at sponsored schools.  That may change the costs issue of this activity pretty drastically.  But again, this requires a full overhaul of how tour and show sponsors is handled. 

But DCI just changed the tour model in early 2000s- give it a chance to play out (sarcasm).  

18 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Start later, end the same time......less of a tour, less time BUT more money! Yeh I would tell my kid to play sports

Not sure how it’s more money but I guess if you consider inflation and the cost of absolutely everything going up, yeah it could be more.  Sports can be cheaper if you’re playing pick up basketball or sandlot baseball but it’s very possible it isn’t much less if it’s at an equivalent level.  How much is AAU basketball? Including camps, travel, etc.  How about baseball?  Good gosh even ballet costs as much.  My daughter did a 5 week intensive for $5,000, years ago and got a lot less out of that than kids get out of drum corps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Completely OT, but best park for coasters I’ve ever been to was Knotts Berry Farm.  Albeit many years ago.  
For you Jersey/NY/Philly folks there was Action Park 😎

Traction Park...

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

Traction Park...

Had a student in her mid-40s from NJ. I had just watched a documentary about (tr)Action Park & asked if she had been there.  She said ‘Yes - broke my arm there once’.  

edit - Jersey Surf could build on last season’s Atlantic City show & do one based on Action Park.  All kinds of potential. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Had a student in her mid-40s from NJ. I had just watched a documentary about (tr)Action Park & asked if she had been there.  She said ‘Yes - broke my arm there once’.  

Staying O.T. :

I grew up in North Jersey.

Remember "Action Park " well.

"Action Park , Fast Times ,Wild Rides , and the Untold Story Of America's 

Most Dangerous Amusement Park" .

Great book.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

edit - Jersey Surf could build on last season’s Atlantic City show & do one based on Action Park.  All kinds of potential. 

..."Where YOU control the ACTION!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

..."Where YOU control the ACTION!"

Oh I can’t resist as a big Futurama fan. “Reckless Teds Fun Land” closed amusement park. In the future it’s the site for Hell for robots.

Best line: “who’d have thought Hell is real… and it’s in New Jersey?” 😆