BD's opening solo, 2022

I was watching an episode of FUNLINERS on You Tube in which a former BD member said the opening horn solo in BD's 2022 show, consistently fell short of accomplishment ..Coming from an alumni I found his remarks refreshingly honest ..So, do you agree with his critique?..Are there other solos from any other top tier corps that you feel just didn't work last season?..

8 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I was watching an episode of FUNLINERS on You Tube in which a former BD member said the opening horn solo in BD's 2022 show, consistently fell short of accomplishment ..Coming from an alumni I found his remarks refreshingly honest ..So, do you agree with his critique?..Are there other solos from any other top tier corps that you feel just didn't work last season?..

1) Reads topic on BD's opening solo from 2022. 👀  

2) Starts researching funliner on the YouTube. 🧐😁  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

She did struggle, but who can blame her. It is REALLY hard to sprint and do complicated dance choreography for a minute and a half and then have to pick up a mellophone — a famously ornery instrument on a good day!! — as a soloist, while mic’ed, and deliver a clean, warm solo with long tones and great breath control and emotional finesse. I think that when we talk about the demand of modern drum corps, and relative difficulty of extensive drill charts vs sprinting and choreography, the difficulty she had with that solo should make us all way more sympathetic. Because sprinting, dancing and then having to play is basically what they all have to do now, soloists or not.

The Funliner guys were honest that she didn’t usually nail it, but they were critical in a healthy way, not a cruel way, in case anyone is wondering — it’s the straight talk of fellow MMs. They’re recent BD guys who know firsthand what pressure and demand goes into a moment like this. So they’re not ragging on her. 

To her extreme credit, fwiw, she DID nail it for the victory performance. I was excited for her! 

• Like 6

Haven't seen the show, but I have a question:  why make her do all that running et. al. right before a solo?  In the "caveman" days of drum corps, soloists stepped out of formation and spent a few seconds prepping for a solo.  If the choice is between nailing the solo and staying in formation, I'll take the clean solo every time.  There shouldn't be a deduction for having a soloist take a few seconds to get ready for their feature.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Haven't seen the show, but I have a question:  why make her do all that running et. al. right before a solo?  In the "caveman" days of drum corps, soloists stepped out of formation and spent a few seconds prepping for a solo.  If the choice is between nailing the solo and staying in formation, I'll take the clean solo every time.  There shouldn't be a deduction for having a soloist take a few seconds to get ready for their feature.

In the "primordial ooze" days of drum corps, some soloists kept marching (or at least marking time) while playing their solo.

58 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

In the "primordial ooze" days of drum corps, some soloists kept marching (or at least marking time) while playing their solo.

Very true. But would you agree that in general, the demand on playing was lower when the drill demand was high? Now I am talking only from a mid to late 80s experience so it could be different generationally (is that a word?)

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

She did struggle, but who can blame her. It is REALLY hard to sprint and do complicated dance choreography for a minute and a half and then have to pick up a mellophone — a famously ornery instrument on a good day!! — as a soloist, while mic’ed, and deliver a clean, warm solo with long tones and great breath control and emotional finesse. I think that when we talk about the demand of modern drum corps, and relative difficulty of extensive drill charts vs sprinting and choreography, the difficulty she had with that solo should make us all way more sympathetic. Because sprinting, dancing and then having to play is basically what they all have to do now, soloists or not.

Over the decades, the BD soloist usually set up behind the pits, put their shakos down, looked around, got rid of extra spit, etc.  If there was two, one would stand back to back to the first soloist. 

• Like 1

There should be more 30 second snare solos. What Bloo did during Lucy was unprecedented, not to mention some wild azz stuff.