2023 Drums

5 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Premier uses birch exclusively if I recall. I’m waiting to see and hear new prototypes of their marching stuff. I’m hoping to do a side by side comparison with my school’s Pearl Carboncore.

They're coming back?  (again?)

Mike

14 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Found this clip online. At least, it looks like the modern Ludwigs are hella fun to play on. 

It's always nice to see women/girls represented in drumcorps, and definitely in the drumline! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MikeN said:

They're coming back?  (again?)

Mike

Trying too. I don't think there is an expectation for them to be a huge player in the marching market but just to have a presence. I'm supposed to see a new snare drum at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gbass598 said:

I want to know what the deal is with the green sparkle drums with tubes in them.

According to a couple of comments I found on Reddit and BK’s instagram…no idea if this is for real what they do.  Definitely a first in my years of following the activity!

Think of these as the bass drum version of roto toms. These are sealed airtight and the members can change the pitch of the drum by blowing into the pipe and can maintain the pitch by blocking the hole with their tongue. Pretty neat stuff!

On 6/22/2023 at 3:54 PM, gbass598 said:

Trying too. I don't think there is an expectation for them to be a huge player in the marching market but just to have a presence. I'm supposed to see a new snare drum at some point.

I mean honestly, the Resonators were a good marching snare. Light, good projection and a nice strainer setup that was pretty easy to tune. I heard tell that replacement parts were a pain but I never confirmed it. Didn't Premier invent the free floater? I still have my 484. 

BTW played on a Premier Resonator kit once. Meh

9 hours ago, bkbass98 said:

According to a couple of comments I found on Reddit and BK’s instagram…no idea if this is for real what they do.  Definitely a first in my years of following the activity!

Think of these as the bass drum version of roto toms. These are sealed airtight and the members can change the pitch of the drum by blowing into the pipe and can maintain the pitch by blocking the hole with their tongue. Pretty neat stuff!

That would be very cool...very,very cool. A one way valve with a bladder that inflates WOULD act just like a roto-tom (ahhhh how I do miss them so) and change the pitch pretty dramatically. Certainly a "one season wonder" instrument but super cool. I don't  envy those bass cats. All season people are gonna be coming up to them saying "Bruh...can I blow in your bass drum?" Nope!!

The coolest we ever had were the telescopic legs. We also had posters taped to the inside of the drums and you could look through the air vent and see the poster. Ludwigs had like 974 vent holes back then. 

18 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

ooh those are niiiiice

That finish is awesome. These companies have gotten so much better at these fade finishes and now that we have super hard waterborne top coats like Brite Tone back on the market, it's  game on. 15 coats of that stuff I bullet proof (not literally but trust me. I use it on cues now so I don't get blood poisoning.)