Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

13 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Yet the judges have been saying otherwise. So who are we to believe? You, who is trying to push a narrative that is different than what's on the sheets, or the judges?

Have they? If Crown is beating them, even on their best day, they have problems. Crown's percussion has been problematic for over a decade, and has been one of their major weaknesses. BD was 4th in the combined Allentown, 3rd in Atlanta (and Crown was 8th), and again 3rd behind Crown last night. So no, they aren't getting high praise, they're usually in the middle of the upper tier. 

Also this:

13 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Lets be honest with ourselves here, the percussion judges typically don't pay any attention to the pit unless during the ballad when the battery isn't playing (if they aren't playing in the ballad, because that's really starting to change). MA is typically where you'll get pit feedback, but then again they've been consistently placing well in MA too.

I think I'll stick with the trained judges, thanks.

Is just an incorrect and way out of touch statement. Each judge is different and spends a different amount of time with the front ensemble. At this point in the season, they know which parts of the show they need to sample in order to get the best read, and will usually hit those when they need to. If they're not sampling BDs front ensemble, it's because there isn't much there they need to read, but I can tell you from hearing MANY drum tapes that they absolutely pay attention to the front, especially when there is something worth sampling.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Have they? If Crown is beating them, even on their best day, they have problems. Crown's percussion has been problematic for over a decade, and has been one of their major weaknesses. BD was 4th in the combined Allentown, 3rd in Atlanta (and Crown was 8th), and again 3rd behind Crown last night. So no, they aren't getting high praise, they're usually in the middle of the upper tier. 

Also this:

Is just an incorrect and way out of touch statement. Each judge is different and spends a different amount of time with the front ensemble. At this point in the season, they know which parts of the show they need to sample in order to get the best read, and will usually hit those when they need to. If they're not sampling BDs front ensemble, it's because there isn't much there they need to read, but I can tell you from hearing MANY drum tapes that they absolutely pay attention to the front, especially when there is something worth sampling.

Okay, live in fantasy land. Enjoy the sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops.

• Thanks 1

DCP, the only place where people state things as objective fact… despite the fact that the professionals whose whole job is to adjudicate these things say otherwise 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dciguy01 said:

Here's mine...

1. BD (locked)

2. Crown

3. BAC

4. Bluecoats (locked)

5. Cadets

6. Mandarins (wow they've come a long way)

7. Phantom

8. Cavies (locked)

9. Troopers

10. Colts

11. Blue Stars (locked)

12. Crossmen

13. Blue Knights

There is no way BC is LOCKED into 4th.  By many accounts, BAC has less room to run, so it's possible that BAC will land in 4th.

It is quite conceivable, given BD's history of pulling out all stops the last week, that BD will prevail, but spots 2-4 are quite unpredictable.

• Like 1

All about who has the most complete show and performs it the best, so I don't think much of anything in the top 4 is "locked".  

The only thing I feel comfortable predicting is this week is going to be a wild and fun ride.  

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, Cappybara said:

These are my predictions from June 27th. Other than mandarins and Blue Stars being quite off, not too shabby 

1. Blue Devils

2. Carolina Crown

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

8. Blue Stars

9. Troopers

10. Mandarins

11. Colts

12. Blue Knights 

You did great!

Of course, the 1-4 is still a toss-up, and 5-8 ( or 7 for you) are toss-ups too.

• Like 2