The absinthe ritual

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There's an old bar in downtown L.A. called "the Edison" that serves it.  I tried it just to say I did, and it tasted exactly like Vick's Nyquil.  

Go Blue Stars!

Umm.  Was this your grandma giving you her "special Vick's NyQuil" when you were a kid?    Cause while I've not had absinthe, I don't recall NyQuil tasting like anise.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

This is easily the most niche thing I've ever read.

I have to specify pre prohibition because 70's cocktails are awful. 

• Like 2

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Umm.  Was this your grandma giving you her "special Vick's NyQuil" when you were a kid?    Cause while I've not had absinthe, I don't recall NyQuil tasting like anise.  

No.  Grandma gave me orange & cherry flavored Aspergum when I was sick.  I've had both, and they taste the same. 

19 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

My first trip to Europe was in the summer of 2011, and the first stop was Prague. Absinthe shops abound in Prague. It was advertised so frequently that I assume it was the real stuff. I planned to try it, but time in Prague ran out, and it was on to Vienna, Munich, and Zurich. I figured it was a European thing, and that I'd try it in the next city. As it turned out, it was not a European thing. At least not in the plentiful sense of Prague. In retrospect, Prague was a very "absinthe" city, but I didn't know any better.

I finally tried it in Italy a couple years ago. It tasted like licorice to me, which is to say I didn't like it. I saw no fairies, but I did feel my face making an "ew face" with every swallow.

If you find yourself in New Orleans consider visiting the Old Absinthe House in the French Quarter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you find yourself in New Orleans consider visiting the Old Absinthe House in the French Quarter.  

I’ve been there, it’s fantastic. I’m a huge absinthe fan, I’ve never really understood the controversy around it especially since I’m pretty sure the hallucinogenic ingredient in it is banned in the US so it’s very different from what you get in Europe 

• Like 2

This is the genius of this show, it is a concept show, not the traditional theme or story show the Blue Stars have done for years.  Its designed to generate an emotion/experience in the viewer, not unlike what happens to one when they drink absinthe. The experience will be different for everyone.  Pay attention to what you experienced, your mood!   You may be happy, sad, silly, angry, may not even understand it;  your in absinthe.   All I know is this show has a forward look and feel.  Has you on the edge of your seat in a mystical,  energetic,  powerful and hypnotic way.. Cant wait to see how it develops over the season, much more to come im sure.  Go Blue Stars, FCO  

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I guess this would be the "Old Milwaukee" ritual.  Which corps would program this next year? 🤭 

Well, they do distill absinthe in Milwaukee at the Great Lakes Distillery...one of the few places that distill absinthe in the United States

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

Wow, a show about booze! My grandfather would have loved it. He ran a couple of speakeasies in Manhattan during prohibition.

Absinthe was verboten in the US in 1981 when I traveled to Copenhagen with a jazz group. Naturally, we had to try it. I didn't believe in fairies beforehand but I sure did afterwards.

• Haha 4