Summer Music Games in Cincinnati 2023-07-05

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

lol okay 

I like what they’re doing but think the back half of their show has huge pacing problems.  

You and me both. Pacing was a huge issue and even more prominent with last year's Tempus Blue which arguably had more stop and go musical 'vignettes' than this year's show. Not sure what the staff has in mind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

You and me both. Pacing was a huge issue and even more prominent with last year's Tempus Blue which arguably had more stop and go musical 'vignettes' than this year's show. Not sure what the staff has in mind.

They layer incredibly well so I’m sure it’ll become something.  

• Thanks 1

....so Congrats to Crown!

Boston guard was fire!

Crown was also fire.

Bloo guard was less spectacular,  but it's 1 night. The corps is fantastic and the brass sound sizzles!

They're all just so good, but Bloo kept my interest. 

Boston was a cool show.

Crown is not quite keeping me interested this year.

Music City was nice 

• Like 4

I think Bloo has their work cut out for them regarding setup and teardown time. From salute to last cutoff, their show clocked in at just under 14 minutes, and corps have 17 minute slots. It took them a long time just to set up their tarps today. I know they’ll get faster, but still.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

A quick check on DCX shows that Blue Devils have won ten titles since 2003. Of those ten titles, only 2014 had a two point spread between first and second place. In 2014 people were predicting “Felliniesque” would be one of Blue Devils’ most memorable shows, not that the show needs work as we’ve been hearing about BD  this year. As someone who has seen a strong BAC live twice, the conclusion I am drawing is Bloo has to be very good this year, Crown is stronger than many of us thought, and BD may have a fight on its hands.

I saw Felliniesque on July 8 in Ft. Wayne.   There were other corps' staff around me saying, "Geez, clean by July 8.  16."

I like what BD is doing this year but it's not getting that response at this time.

• Like 1

Well folks, it looks like we have the making of quite a drum corps summer.  I do think that had BD been in this show they would have been in the same zip code as the other three.  As I was having my coffee while watching TODAY in my air conditioned home this morning, I was reminded how hard these these kids and staffs work in this record setting heat.  It seems like drum corps IS in fact, alive and well! The Boston kids who reached out to me last night seem determined and I think we are going to be in for a 6 week slugfest. Congrats to everyone in all the corps!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Great job Music City!  Big corps. Nice show. Any chance that opening music in the mallets was from the movie American Beauty? Sounded similar to me. 

Yes, it is "Any Other Name" by Thomas Newman from American Beauty.  Thanks for encouraging words for Music City.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Boston tunes higher with more clarity in comparison to the brass. I heard every note the snareline played including the dirty ones. Tenor and bass lines were phenomenal. Snares do have some clarity issues. it should get better but the stuff I heard ticks on were the easy stuff. They still won achievement tonight because their music is flat out harder to play.

Bluecoats are similar to Crown. Battery tuning blends in with the horns quite a bit. I also felt like I heard a lot more dirt from the battery than Crown or Boston. First show jitters.

Appreciate the insight and your thoughts. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I can't judge.... lol

Neither can I. It's fun though. Trying to judge these shows from a Flo streaming perspective is just not easy. When you're there live you get a better perspective. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brassboy said:

I think Bloo has their work cut out for them regarding setup and teardown time. From salute to last cutoff, their show clocked in at just under 14 minutes, and corps have 17 minute slots. It took them a long time just to set up their tarps today. I know they’ll get faster, but still.

18 minutes