CrownBeat 2023

I also think the Mandarins are gonna see a big score bump when they get together with the East.  They're floating out there in their own tier right now in West but Sinnerman is gonna compare real well to the East shows.  I think they'll be in the mix with Phantom and Cadets moreso that Blue Stars and Cavaliers.  

Again, a surge could happen out any of those corps and upend things too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Tbh a lot of this works if you just accept the vibe on its own terms. Very much like a night out with stoner hippies. 

So it's another "No Blue. No Coats. ..." year?  🤣

Just now, KVG_DC said:

I also think the Mandarins are gonna see a big score bump when they get together with the East.  They're floating out there in their own tier right now in West but Sinnerman is gonna compare real well to the East shows.  I think they'll be in the mix with Phantom and Cadets moreso that Blue Stars and Cavaliers.  

Again, a surge could happen out any of those corps and upend things too. 

That's the problem I see with the west this year. Mandarins and BD are kind of own their own islands. There's just no one in their tiers to compete with them. I definitely see Mandarins fighting for the top 6 though!

4 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I have thoughts about the lack of score increase over 6 days of rehearsals based on what I saw in ST, but I won't state them publicly. 

I'm seriously trying to read your mind. 😂😂😂giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9520b0zxr19ebx24r8d2s

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Not trying to offend.  It’s not about if I like BCs show or not (I actually do like it), but it’s visually and thematically unfocused. Too much going on:  multiple tarps, green house, stage, butterflies, black butterflies, women in black veils, moving platforms, etc. And all that’s going on over weirdly cut pieces of a poem.  It reminds me of the GE problems Crown had last year or SCV in 19.

I think BC is headed for 4th unless they figure a way to structurally simplify their show. Meanwhile, if PR builds, they have a chance in the right conditions to make a move. 

Interesting how we all perceive things so differently.   I can see them moving to 2nd with all intriguing GE.  1st if they fix the pacing in the last 3 minutes.  It's one of my favorites this year.  And that percussion!!

• Like 2

I would put Phantom over Cadets at this point because their overall design seems more coherent. Props, tarps, drill, uniforms,silks all feel like a uniform thought with shared design elements.

With Cadets, I’m not sure what the idea is. An athletic competition? A workout? Struggle to improve? The uniforms are a very literal, specific look, but the props are just...for what purpose? The music is great and they move well, but there seems to be a missing element. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NakedEye said:

I would put Phantom over Cadets at this point because their overall design seems more coherent. Props, tarps, drill, uniforms,silks all feel like a uniform thought with shared design elements.

With Cadets, I’m not sure what the idea is. An athletic competition? A workout? Struggle to improve? The uniforms are a very literal, specific look, but the props are just...for what purpose? The music is great and they move well, but there seems to be a missing element. 

I know I'll catch flack for this, but some narration could be beneficial.  That said, I do love the show.  They move and play wonderfully.  I maintain that the hornline is top 4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jordsterr said:

Interesting how we all perceive things so differently.   I can see them moving to 2nd with all intriguing GE.  1st if they fix the pacing in the last 3 minutes.  It's one of my favorites this year.  And that percussion!!

Totally.  That’s what makes drum corp interesting:  different views and perspectives.  I’m going with my gut reaction.  Tonight I even had my partner watching and he had the same reaction I did when I saw it first — I think something is off about the way they are pulling together the theme and the maximalist approach is distracting from where to focus on what. 

Changes will be made.  I’m hoping they edit back though. 

• Like 1