Devils Crusade(rs) and Sin Along The Rockies 23

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Do you really believe without rankings, these corps would push for excellence as hard as they do with competition, scores and rankings? Or am I misunderstanding? Because no way people are pushed to reach their highest level of achievement without some sort of end goal, and for sports and drum corps, competition and scores is what pushes people... It doesn't kill or limit it.

Artists do this all day every day all of the world and throughout history. They achieve excellence outside of competitive paradigms all the time. Despite them, some might say. Plenty of artists don't have end goals or metrics.

If drum corps is a sport it's a sport. Cool. But the GE caption indicates that it's not wholly a sport, because that's where the bias slips in the most. Can't have it both ways and not expect weathered artists to call it out....

Sorry if competing drum corps is the same as Finland's hobby horse competitions to me. It's just silly. :whistle:

Also, if you haven't been a corps where adults cared more about winning than you did and pushed you so far beyond your limits it broke you, you may not understand where I'm coming from. And that's okay. But it doesn't make me wrong. Beating Phantom or Cavies or Cadets or BD was never on my mind and we "won" 3rd place overall and 1st in drums at the height of our season. We just wanted to be the best iteration of our corps that we could muster.

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh entirely.  it's the Kirk v. Picard-ification of everything in some regard.  I mean...you'll even get people who DO know voice techniques and are trained, etc. coming into them or making content to explain the way things like the Night Queen staccatos are done, and what makes one performance different than another.   Often they're more transparent in their rankings as to "this is my preference" but also "the mechanics and executon of the style of all these divas are incredible".   Then you go to the comments and "she's just raspy and belting it!"  and I'm thinking ... dude, she's not just singing, she's playing a character who is literally SUPPOSED to be coming unhinged.  I mean she's telling her daughter to go commit vengeful murder...she SHOULD sound raspy and belty.  

Exactly. And the world needs both Kirk and Picard, right? Working together right? Not to try and decide (with finality) who was right and wrong, and then pit them against each other for stakes. We can debate and dialogue about it because that's fun and relatable, but to attempt to make a final judgement would be silly. And undoubtedly biased.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, skevinp said:

I think you and Grayson misunderstood his post.

I read English.  I think your hatred for BD missed the point. 

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The elimination of scores would eliminate this activity from existence. Just saying. 

I'd agree with this too actually.   But I can easily see it becoming something like a circuit of Brass Theater shows ala the Blast! sort of thing.   I could see WGI becoming that too.  

26 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

I read English.  I think your hatred for BD missed the point. 

I love BD.  They may well turn out to be my favorite show of the year.  

He was saying it would be great IF those other corps were as good, not THAT they are as good.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ediker said:

There are many many many places to find art and competition separate from each other. Combining the two is what makes this activity special. 

Indeed.  It's part of the reason I like it.  And frankly part of the reason I tend to like the 'artistry' in sports for that matter.  I love seeing soccer teams I back win, but there's also something about 'the beautiful game' mindset that appeals to me greatly too.  

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Alternatively, one could make the argument that doing so helped save it during the pandemic.

2021 and the three days in Indy were amazing!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1