Devils Crusade(rs) and Sin Along The Rockies 23

19 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Or perhaps, just perhaps, I simply don't want to discuss anything related to the pandemic with you and realized I should've never brought it up. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Sounds good 🙂 

• Haha 2

@Jake W. What a great review. Thank you. I really enjoyed reading it.

• Like 7

On 7/15/2023 at 11:03 PM, treved said:

Second announcer this year. 

Because the first time it went over so well...I couldn't believe that happened again.  Thought it was dejavu 

18 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I always appreciate reviews throughout the season from those at the show, so I will contribute. It was an absolutely terrific night of drum corps - not a snoozer or a "bathroom break" show in the entire line up. I truly enjoyed all 9 shows I saw last night!! Now for the novel.

Fantastic Review, Jake!!!!! Loved reading every word. You are correct about the Blue Devils too. When you see them live it makes all the difference. They hit you in the face with every aspect of their ability to perform. Hearing their brass and percussion live is so different to video or streaming. Their body control and body carriage is so pristine. One of the other 3 corps in contention will need to really pull out the stops to come close to the Blue Devils. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tony L. said:

After watching the Mandarins show I have to say that on some level they are giving me to Canadian corps vibes:  Ventures for the dress and Les Etoiles for the spinning props.  Love the references.  

I so dearly miss these two corps. 

20 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Troopers - I'm not sure why this show is getting more mixed reactions on the forums than last season's masterpiece - maybe it needs to be seen live? The mixed reactions from DCP could not be further from the case when in a stadium - they got the first standing O of the night (slow build to the company front near the end of the show), and had the crowd in the palm of their hands, and I'm not talking just cheering - the entire ballad had everyone around me listening in and focused. Troop was the first corps of the night where all phones around me were eventually put down and no one was fidgeting - especially in that closer. I absolutely LOVE seeing an audience captured like that. Troop has quickly developed this ridiculously effective swagger that allows the corps to command the field immediately and totally capture the audience - any corps outside of the top 6 at the moment should be envious of this. It's dangerous, and they're not stopping their meteoric rise any time soon. Rewatching today didn't have nearly the same effect on me - good god, if you get the chance this season, see Troopers live. Their performance capabilities are almost unmatched. Ok, on to the show itself - love love love it. Probably because I got so tired of season after season of forgettable, mediocre Troopers shows, and still loathe a forgettable, mediocre show from any group (hi 2023 Scouts & Crossmen!), but it's just so satisfying to watch a group completely rewrite their trajectory and burst out of their prior constraints. I do think this year's offering is a mature step up from last year's winner, and the corps is handling it well. They are hungry (starving?) for more. It's a masterfully-constructed design (with a few major kinks - we'll get there in a moment). The journey is clear, palpable, and without question as it gets fleshed out. Harrison's Dream is a beefy opener, and the tuba feature at the beginning is nails. I think I was most disappointed in rewatching the video that the harmonica/French horn duet didn't come across anywhere as nuanced as it did live - THAT is some perfect writing. After the swirling, intense opener, the entire auditory field just strips down to absolutely nothing and you are allowed to breathe and exhale while still being completely captured. The duet is a magical timbre - a longing or nostalgia for a West or Youth that strikes a universal note. It's incredibly stirring writing. The corps is spread out & encircling the entire field at that point, and they've added (or I've never heard before) some simple drumline rise & fall lines that travel around the perimeter of the field in pods, totally encompassing the harmonica soloist & the sun in this incredibly breathy, open, airy way. All of this pays off in a giant build & release that embodies the same out-West openness. Seriously, I cannot stress enough how none of this was noticeable when I rewatched this morning - SEE THIS BALLAD LIVE! And, finally, the two builds in the closer. The first one with all of the brass staccatos & block marching with the tutti pay off - love it!! But, the **minute & a half** build to the company front that immediately follows the first build is just jaw-dropping, and resulted in that first standing O of the day (and the only one mid-show). When do we ever get something like that in our activity? Shows are packed full of demand by nature and have a time limit - to devote a full 1:30 to a simmering build is a bold design choice, and one that is paying off in spades. You can tell the performers are nuts about that whole segment, and the crowd just ate it up. Myself included - chills throughout! Take me, Daddy. Enough gushing and a few notes - god they have got to get that guard figured out. It's not going to happen this season, but I imagine the caption will have new staff moving into next season - honestly, it's the writing, not the performers. There were moments where they just weren't really doing anything. Others mentioned the closer flags - the multi-colors didn't work. I do expect some uneven caption growth as a corps skyrockets up, and their INCREDIBLE drums with non-stop notes more than make up for it, but it's a noticeably weaker caption vs. their design, brass, & percussion strengths. On that note, I still need a proper ending. The 1:30 closer build that got the crowd on their feet was pure joy; anything following that was an afterthought that I hardly remember. This show is a brilliant undertaking and deserves a massive finish. The current iteration ain't it. They are so close - get an ending that finishes me properly and there's no reason to think that 10th is their ceiling at Indy.

Never mind all that; what about the PROP?

😉seriously, thank you for this insightful analysis. I learned a bunch.