Broken Arrow 18 July 2023 - the Show, not the Accident (nor the Movie)

14 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I so wish this would happen. Starting a petition now...

Done:  https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-dci-on-pbs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

On the topic of PBS, why not bring them back? Imagine your little kid watching like Wild Kratts or something like that and then an announcer goes at 7:00pm “Ladies and Gentlemen PBS is proud to welcome you to the Drum Corps International Finals!” Would draw in more people

I don’t think you would see it live, but it might work as a show to attract new members for PBS. Years ago it was broadcast as a fundraiser with poor results, but PBS has become more sophisticated in fundraising. The broadcast as a way to attract new fans is also a possibility. Il Divo, Celtic Women and Celtic Thunder owe a huge debt to PBS as does Chris Botti. All were first broadcast as PBS fundraisers. Yanni’s best selling recording was his PBS special. “Riverdance” was first broadcast in the United States as a PBS fundraiser. Would DCI be another “Downton Abbey?” Probably not, but it would beat watching reruns of Suze Orman and Rick Steeves.

• Like 3

Just now, Tim K said:

I don’t think you would see it live, but it might work as a show to attract new members for PBS. Years ago it was broadcast as a fundraiser with poor results, but PBS has become more sophisticated in fundraising. The broadcast as a way to attract new fans is also a possibility. Il Divo, Celtic Women and Celtic Thunder owe a huge debt to PBS as does Chris Botti. All were first broadcast as PBS fundraisers. Yanni’s best selling recording was his PBS special. “Riverdance” was first broadcast in the United States as a PBS fundraiser. Would DCI be another “Downton Abbey?” Probably not, but it would beat watching reruns of Suze Orman and Rick Steeves.

Maybe finals is live and weekly summer rundown with highlights

2 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Just signed it!

• Like 2

Just now, Tim K said:

Just signed it!

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Random thought, why do you want Crown to medal again this year? What is it about getting 3rd that changes an entire outlook of a season compared to finishing 4th? And would the discussion be the same for 6th or 7th?

I'm not trying to box you in or call you out on anything, I'm actually just curious (probably should have just started a new thread to be honest). To me, the only placements that matter in DCI are 1st at finals (you'll always be known as the champions and get to do an encore run) and 12th place on Semis (congrats on making finals!). Any other placement, just doesn't really matter in the end. And I say that from the perspective of just entertainment and enjoyment of the shows, not organizational success and future because I fully understand that as a corps drops down the rankings and out of finals, their recruitment COULD suffer but that's not guaranteed (look at Colts and Mandarins this year).

I just have always wondered this and finally put the question out there. My assumption is that people just want to see their favorite corps or shows rewarded which makes sense, but I just personally think people put way too much emphasis on that instead of just enjoying it all.

You are correct that this would be a great discussion on a new thread because a lot of people could learn a lot from this perspective. 

You are correct on almost every level - Yes, we should not care so much about scores and placements and just enjoy how amazing these kids are. And yes, the main reason I want to see Crown place 3rd is because I'm a fan and want to see them improve on last year's placement. 

Unfortunately, this is a competitive activity, and while some marching members and anyone associated with these corps might not care about scores and rankings at all, I know for a fact many do. The goal of some are just to improve their placement, scores, and themselves as people or artists or musicians, etc, and have amazing experiences in this activity. But for the corps who are always fighting for the top spots (BD, BC, Crown, and now Boston), I'm pretty sure it does matter. DCI awards gold, silver and bronze, and Crown finished 4th last year, so heck yeah, I believe Crown wants one of those medals this year. 

I suggest you create a new thread asking this exact question - I think you'll get a lot of traffic and I can imagine it will get pretty entertaining. 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What an interesting little activity we have here, where so little changes year to year in terms of placements, yet folks get their hopes up that it will…

I was told that every year from 1929 (the year my great grandparents met) to his death in 1976, my great grandfather would always say "The Chicago Cubs will win the World Series this year!" 

Obviously he died without seeing it happen, but when the Cubs won it all in 2016, he was right! Never mind the fact it took 83 years from the first time he mentioned it lol. 

If someone keeps saying/wishing the same thing over and over, at some point they will be right, all the while hoping we don't have receipts from the numerous years they were wrong lol. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What an interesting little activity we have here, where so little changes year to year in terms of placements, yet folks get their hopes up that it will…

Mandarins, PR, Troopers et. al. respectfully disagree… 

• Like 5