San Antonio - Draw for Order of Appearance

35 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Can someone explain Allentown for me. (I should have asked Atchison last Saturday night). Are the corps assigned to Friday or Saturday first and then order selected in groups of 3 based on score or are they selected first in groups of three and then assigned either Fri. or Saturday based of an even "strength of field" perspective?

I do know the days are split by groupings (2-1) (1-2) (2-1) and I hate this format especially since it dictates seeding for prelims.

5 hours ago, craiga said:

Band shows in Maine start at 5pm, so yes, it is very possible for groups to go on not only in the daylight but in full sun, especially in September thru early October. And, in Maine all bands are in one division with the show order completely from random draw.  While I don't believe the judges have any trouble with it, I do think it can be strange show pacing for the spectators.  Imagine BD going on first and Jersey Surf going on last.....

I would think going on later in Maine, to not be so great as weather turns colder. When the sun goes down, temps in New England can drop precipitously.  We’ve all experienced 20 degree drops in a couple of hours.

Generally from a corps perspective there is a lot to a later step off (performance) time.  If you are consistently on later in a show, your show day schedule is usually solidly planned; sleep, meal times, rehearsal, warm up, etc., etc.  That does lead to optimum performances.  
Going on under the lights, just feels better as a performer.  Better atmosphere. Going on early may not get you a large audience either.  Sorry to say.

Performance order may only impact the first corps on as far as numbers go, but I’m not sure it does these days.  Performance order later in the season, probably doesn’t make a huge difference, if any especially to well seasoned corps.  Unless there is a big separation in times.  Say if BD were to go on first in SA, how would the numbers look if then say Bluecoats or Boston were the last 2 on?  Just my $.02

Lineup & Times
All times CT and subject to change

12:00 PM       Gates Open
1:30 PM          Welcome and National Anthem

1:40 PM          Arsenal - El Paso, TX
1:52 PM          Guardians - Houston, TX
2:09 PM          Genesis - Austin, TX
2:26 PM          Seattle Cascades - Seattle, WA
2:43 PM          Music City - Nashville, TN
3:00 PM          Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
3:17 PM          Madison Scouts - Madison, WI

3:34 PM          Intermission

4:04 PM          Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
4:21 PM          The Academy - Tempe, AZ
4:38 PM          Blue Knights - Denver, CO
4:55 PM          Colts - Dubuque, IA
5:12 PM          Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA

5:29 PM          Intermission - SoundSport International Showcase

6:29 PM          The Cadets - Erie, PA
6:46 PM          Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI
7:03 PM          Troopers - Casper, WY
7:20 PM          The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL
7:37 PM          Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
7:54 PM          Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
8:11 PM          Carolina Crown - Fort Mill, SC
8:28 PM          Bluecoats - Canton, OH
8:45 PM          Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA
9:02 PM          Blue Devils - Concord, CA

9:27 PM          Drum Major Retreat - Scores Announced

Edited by Texas_Dad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cadets after the intermission and before 3 corps they have consistently outscored?  Wow....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

Cadets after the intermission and before 3 corps they have consistently outscored?  Wow....

Yes, if performance order does affect placement, then for me Cadets did have the worst draw luck based on scores so far. I hope they use it as motivation - they are already marching and playing so well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

Yeah, they were going to be drawn randomly from groups of 3s based on score, but there was a tie between Blue Stars and Troopers. So it looks like they were drawn from a group of 4 and got some crazy bad luck.

Edited by Waxman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Waxman said:

Yeah, they were going to be drawn randomly from groups of 3s based on score, but there was a tie between Blue Stars and Troopers. So it looks like they were drawn from a group of 4 and got some crazy bad luck.

Some SERIOUS bad luck.  They've been closing in on Phantom and Mandarins as of late so this just makes it that much harder to close the gap.  Judges are human and having to compare 3 corps when one of them preforms so early is a difficult task.  I'm at a loss...