Bluecoats, BD, and SA (TW: Sexual Assault)

6 minutes ago, Toby said:

Marching members aren't classified as employees, though. 

Maybe you're focused on the wrong part? Organizations - public, private or otherwise - can be held liable for their actions by any jury any time. 

8 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Meanwhile, this discussion is so distressing. There's the accusations. Terrible. Then there are the presumptions. Also terrible. Can't believe how quickly some people rush to judgment when they have no real evidence at all.

I agree. This thread isn't helpful for anyone, and needs to be closed. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Maybe you're focused on the wrong part? Organizations - public, private or otherwise - can be held liable for their actions by any jury any time. 

Respectfully, that isn’t how it works. 

Employment and labor law are very, very different beasts when it comes to legal actions. 

Based on your understanding; then BD is explaining itself to liability when the cut someone from playing a drum different than they want.  Right?

If your kid’s teacher was accused of raping kids, what would you want to happen?  For the teacher to be removed or for the teacher to stay in their job until there are charges by a DA?

So many of these comments are truly disturbing.   And they highlight some MASSIVE generational differences.  

• Like 3

I have an interesting perspective on this, that I would like to share.

I grew up in the city of Malden, Massachusetts. My mother almost enrolled me at this day care, however she got a vibe that she did not like and enrolled me in a different one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fells_Acres_day_care_sexual_abuse_trial

I also went to school with the three children of the gentleman that was accused, convicted and later released. The oldest daughter was 1 year older, the younger daughter was in my grade and the son (the youngest) was a former student of mine when I was teaching percussion in the city's music program.

I also know many of the people that claimed to be victims, and they still do. They have never recanted. 

With all that being said, it is absolutely imperative that the v-s is fully supported from the get go. It is not the place of ANY person to attack their experience (aside from trained professionals). If you go off half cocked attacking their credibility from the start, how is anyone ever going to be able to investigate? Why do I ask that? Because the v-s's will NOT REPORT IT IN THAT CIRCUMSTANCE. We will be right back in the days of people being able to assault 18+ individuals, with public whispering campaigns going on in the background, as we have seen in the past.

You support the accuser.

You actively listen to the accuser.

You do not call out the accuser, or other individuals regarding their experiences. 

You turn everything over to trained, licensed investigators and you maintain an appropriate amount of pressure on them to perform a thorough and complete investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

So, now I know the biological sex of both individuals and as such I can infer that the accusation is that of non-consensual "straight" sexual activity. What I don't know is the degree of that activity and the AGE of both of these individuals and the age of consent in Indiana. If they were both legal adults last year, it seems to be a case between 2 adults and neither BD nor Bluecoats have legal obligations. If one or both of them are minors, then we have another kettle of fish for them and for BD and/or Bluecoats. I can only guess that if someone is marching in Bluecoats or BD that these people are adults and should be using legal resources and not social media.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Respectfully, that isn’t how it works. 

Employment and labor law are very, very different beasts when it comes to legal actions. 

Based on your understanding; then BD is explaining itself to liability when the cut someone from playing a drum different than they want.  Right?

If your kid’s teacher was accused of raping kids, what would you want to happen?  For the teacher to be removed or for the teacher to stay in their job until there are charges by a DA?

So many of these comments are truly disturbing.   And they highlight some MASSIVE generational differences.  

No. Not my intent. I'm not parsing the law. I'm merely stating the obvious, which is all organizations must manage litigation risk because it's real. 

26 minutes ago, MusicaCat said:

I agree. This thread isn't helpful for anyone, and needs to be closed. 

I said that on page six 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1