Do percussion judges actually realize there's a Front Ensemble?

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Yes. Even more so now that they can’t enter the field. This is precisely why Bostons perc scored struggled to win last year. Their front ensemble appeared to be too easy compared to other corps. 

Yup.... Boston's battery last season was fire. Hard Demand too. But their FE, despite being pretty good, did not have sufficiently challenging parts compared to the top 3 Corps percussions said a couple of judges. ( Boston believes they have tightened up that aspect this season ).

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I was just getting ready to say this. Bloo's front ensemble got them past BD to win the Sanford. And it was well deserved and earned. 

33 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Good ones do bad ones don’t.   Bluecoats front ensemble is what pushed them over the edge last year to a Sanford.  But they also had periodic moments throughout the show that allowed for there to be split focus from the battery to the front.  Specifically in the closer.  A judge can only be in one place, gotta make sure there are chances to hear both individually and as an ensemble.  

So...it's a tie breaker? :devil:

Seriously -- why is it "OK" to have judges who are so battery focused they still  miss most of what the FE is doing despite being moved to the front sideline?

PqguEga.gif

I know we used to have two drum judges at finals and regionals etc.........

Is there a reason why DCI can't go back to two drum judges, except one is for pit, and the other for battery............IDK kind of like GE1/GE2?

I would like to see a percussion judge back on the field judging content & performance sub captions. Then I would like to see a percussion judge about 4-5 rows up awarding subcaptions for Front Ensemble & Battery content & performance (better read on tempo/phasing/volume levels between battery & front ensemble - I'm looking at you synth).

• Like 1

As someone who was in the front ensemble during my time, I'd say no. We really should have a perc judge with a focus on front ensemble.

2 hours ago, denverjohn said:

I would like to see a percussion judge back on the field judging content & performance sub captions. Then I would like to see a percussion judge about 4-5 rows up awarding subcaptions for Front Ensemble & Battery content & performance (better read on tempo/phasing/volume levels between battery & front ensemble - I'm looking at you synth).

I like this suggestion!

8 hours ago, karuna said:

Well... DO THEY?

Yes they do

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Aren’t there two percussion judges at the regionals and finals to divide the attention?

Don’t the GE judges that have more of a music focus take the entire ensemble as a whole into account, thereby focusing on the front ensemble? 

We got a taste of that last night when Jay Webb, a percussion focused GE judge (who I think is being pretty unfairly lambasted on DCP btw, this happens whenever a crowd favorite gets scored lower by a judge), scored PC quite low in percussion? PC’s two lowest ordinals last night were percussion and GE. Doesn’t seem like that’s a coincidence given the GE judge had a percussion background. And yet no criticism is being hurled at Mr. Teal…

That was changed 

7 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I know we used to have two drum judges at finals and regionals etc.........

Is there a reason why DCI can't go back to two drum judges, except one is for pit, and the other for battery............IDK kind of like GE1/GE2?

That’s mA now, one a brass person one a percussion person. And in the box sounds get lost because you’re way up and you have mic’s brass etc too

Coming from someone who was in front ensemble for a year, not even the band director realizes there's a front ensemble