Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

17 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Eh that show had visual issues and a limited concept from the beginning, the uniform change just exacerbated it. 

they were still deeper in the hunt before the switch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So, I suppose we should start a thread about whether a 2024 4-peat is in the cards.  

Scott Chandler already has 2024's 4-peat show in the can and as we speak is likely working on 2025.  Maybe Mandarins will challenge them by then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:02 PM, jasgre2000 said:

I love this show design for PR so much ... best PR show in who knows how long. Definitely my favorite since Tarandot, and this one might be designed even better than that one (it's been a while since I've watched it). 

I am so confused about all of the hype behind this show design... I know people are annoyed that I've commented on this before, but after seeing Phantom live in the midst of the other top 8 corps in San Antonio, I just don't understand how they are scoring so high in visual & GE... 

It is such a boring show, visually. The visual design makes it feel so slow and it just drags on. Even the music loses impact when watching it in person, because the intensity of movement doesn't match the intensity with which they're playing. Granted, I don't think Phantom's had a super complex/highly entertaining visual program since 2010.

I brought a couple people to the San Antonio show yesterday who had never seen drum corps before and they all unanimously agreed that Phantom had the most boring show of the last eight corps.

• Confused 3

I assure everyone, I still have my hearing. Though I was quite sure I might lose it after phantom, was on my way during cavies. So loud. So awesome. What an amazing experience. 

Though Phantom was definitely not as loud as Cavies and Mandarins were. Holy cow they brought the energy last night. 

Then Boston brought the house down. I was so excited to see how the crowd would react to the new ending (I saw it the night before at their ensemble)…and I think half of them didn’t even see the insane rifle toss that happened right after the tarp flyover in the same spot. Just amazing writing on their part. 

By the way, I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but BD broke the all time score record for this regional. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KaiKai said:

I am so confused about all of the hype behind this show design... I know people are annoyed that I've commented on this before, but after seeing Phantom live in the midst of the other top 8 corps in San Antonio, I just don't understand how they are scoring so high in visual & GE... 

It is such a boring show, visually. The visual design makes it feel so slow and it just drags on. Even the music loses impact when watching it in person, because the intensity of movement doesn't match the intensity with which they're playing. Granted, I don't think Phantom's had a super complex/highly entertaining visual program since 2010.

I brought a couple people to the San Antonio show yesterday who had never seen drum corps before and they all unanimously agreed that Phantom had the most boring show of the last eight corps.

It's literally in the name of the show, exogenesis. The idea that life on earth didn't originate on earth but instead somewhere else and brought here. I personally think they do a great job of performing that. I've been to quite a few shows so far this year and Phantom has received quite a lot of reactions from the fans so they must be doing something right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, brassboy said:

I still just want them to go super old school and do a full show of Earth, Wind and Fire and absolutely tear down the house.

Along a similar vein, Bluecoats doing a Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass show could be epic.  It would be really difficult to do a lot of their stuff as a large ensemble as it is so exposed.  Or perhaps what I should say is ‘…do a lot of their stuff well…’