Corps in the Heat at Mesquite (TX) - July 24, 2023

44 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Then why did you let yourself get worked up about a “small show on a Monday”?

Too much logic 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The Blu-rays are mixed in 5.1 with discrete (separate)  mics, so L/C/R and Surround L & R.  I can hear clearly the separation when the battery for instance is on the left 40 and the horns for instance on on the right 40.  The pit has discrete content (not a blend of combining L&R) coming 90% from the center speaker.  Applause/crowd noise is (correctly) very light and comes out of the SR and SL. 

The .1 channel is usually the sub bass and you can hear all the thunderous goo coming out of the subwoofer. 

For those listening on headphones the sub bass is what you will NOT hear because the headphones don't dig deep enough.  Even tubas are mid bass and don't don't go down to sub bass probably because of the way the field is mic'd.

For the Flo broadcasts I would say the mix is about the same as the BD (Blu-ray Disc, not the drum corps).  If the corps is moving L to R for instance I can hear them move from the L speaker to the C and then to the right R.

IMO that's what a quality well thought out set of mic's and mixing will do for your home audio playback.

I see what you wrote but I hire people to take care of mic stuff so I don't have to try and understand it 🤣

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The Blu-rays are mixed in 5.1 with discrete (separate)  mics, so L/C/R and Surround L & R.  I can hear clearly the separation when the battery for instance is on the left 40 and the horns for instance on on the right 40.  The pit has discrete content (not a blend of combining L&R) coming 90% from the center speaker.  Applause/crowd noise is (correctly) very light and comes out of the SR and SL. 

The .1 channel is usually the sub bass and you can hear all the thunderous goo coming out of the subwoofer. 

For those listening on headphones the sub bass is what you will NOT hear because the headphones don't dig deep enough.  Even tubas are mid bass and don't don't go down to sub bass probably because of the way the field is mic'd.

For the Flo broadcasts I would say the mix is about the same as the BD (Blu-ray Disc, not the drum corps).  If the corps is moving L to R for instance I can hear them move from the L speaker to the C and then to the right R.

IMO that's what a quality well thought out set of mic's and mixing will do for your home audio playback.

Some can. Mine are rated down to 5hz, well below what I can even hear.pic_amiron_16-09_perspective_v1_1_2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Some can. Mine are rated down to 5hz, well below what I can even hear.

You have headphones which can dig down to 5 Hz?  Wow, that's not just impressive for headphones, that's impressive for anything! 

I know my subs won't go that deep as I have them set up for mid-bass thump. 

Think 12 over-the-shoulder tubas.  😎

36 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You have headphones which can dig down to 5 Hz?  Wow, that's not just impressive for headphones, that's impressive for anything! 

I know my subs won't go that deep as I have them set up for mid-bass thump. 

Think 12 over-the-shoulder tubas.  😎

My home theater sub (a cheap one- one day to be replaced!) doesn’t even come close, LOL. They’re 250ohm so I really need to run them off my dedicated amp/DAC to get the most out of them but I’m usually to lazy to go into my office room to do it. (9 times out of 10 I just pop in my AirPod Pros which, although super convenient, barely even compare.)

• Like 1

I switched from my TV (from laptop via HDMI) speakers to directly on my AIO with decent headphones and the sound quality was 1000% better.  Pretty sure my old home theater was not as good either.  

Maybe it’s hard to compete with direct sound without bouncing around a room from speakers that don’t have to be big because they are right next to your ears.  Not to mention a screen that can handle high resolution fast because it can be small since I am only a foot away.  

Sure, it lacks some comforts but I got used to watching DCI on a 6 inch screen at my college library in 1984.  

I’ll enjoy comforts at the theater on Prelims night.  🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Sample size. SA had DOUBLE panels for GE AND MA captions. They were unanimous, as were the other 5 judges all had PC up in BOTH subcaptions. 11 judges, all unanimous.

Plus, you can be sure that DCI is putting its "best" judges on a regional vs a small show on a Monday.

PC is going to be fine. They have a shot at finals. A legit shot. But, there are other very good corps, with finalist experience, that want that 12th spot. PC is better than ever and that's all that matters whether they make finals or not. It's a great show. It's a safe show. Sometimes safe shows can get you in, and sometimes you can't get in with one. We'll have to see. Either way, step up for them and they are headed in the right direction. Their staff designed a perfect design for their talent level.