Corps in the Heat at Mesquite (TX) - July 24, 2023

19 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Because what we (In general) are really saying is we want scores and placement chaos.............as long as my favorite corps isn't negatively impacted by it each night. 

I think you’re correct. I also think  were all guilty of believing the judges got it wrong but wouldn’t have if they had consulted us first!🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

What is the big fuss about? It's one show. And THIS is exactly what should happen night to night. People complain when scores and placements are too consistent and then they complain when a night like tonight happens. What do you want?

What do I want?  I want SCV back, that’s what I want. But I also wanted to hit the Powerball jackpot, so my track record is not good. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Because what we (In general) are really saying is we want scores and placement chaos.............as long as my favorite corps isn't negatively impacted by it each night. 

You are right. Too bad people think that way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Interesting to read frustrations such as - corps x gained a whole point on corps y in one day, or corps x didn’t lose a single caption to corps y yesterday but today lost a bunch….

I LOVE the - on any given day, call it like you see it - approach. LOVE it. I wish placements would change more. Otherwise, the most important contest of the season is the first one. After that they’re slotted and nothing can change?  NO WAY!!!  Bring on the chaos!!

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

What is the big fuss about? It's one show. And THIS is exactly what should happen night to night. People complain when scores and placements are too consistent and then they complain when a night like tonight happens. What do you want?

Chaos and fluctuations are great! As long as they are representative of what's happening on the field from night to night. The scores last night don't read as a "show of the night" they read as "these people are not applying the sheets the same as the other judges", which is a problem.

The swing in numbers/placements from Saturday to yesterday are way outside the "this group had a better run" range, that's the problem.

• Confused 4

16 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Chaos and fluctuations are great! As long as they are representative of what's happening on the field from night to night. The scores last night don't read as a "show of the night" they read as "these people are not applying the sheets the same as the other judges", which is a problem.

The swing in numbers/placements from Saturday to yesterday are way outside the "this group had a better run" range, that's the problem.

What?  How do you know that?  This is merely your opinion. You are, of course, entitled to it. Tell me, what swing IS acceptable to you, if 1.0 is not?  0.5?  0.25? I can’t think of a LESS objective activity than a drum corps competition. At least in figure skating you can tell if a skater “sticks the landing.”  Drum corps is completely subjective and if you think otherwise you’re kidding yourself. And that is why no movement In placement night after night is silly. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

This is not how it works though. The judges for last night could care less about Saturday. They are just judging last night for what it is. No preconceived notions. And while Saturday was a large Regional show DCI does not send out a memo to all the judges that states "The scores and captions recorded on this day, July 22, 2023 shall forever-more be the spreads and general assumptions of who is better and how they should be scored."

Let's face it, some judges last night looked at those shows ( in their caption ) and had a very different opinion...or perhaps they saw and heard very real issues. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

How do you know that? Were you at the show? 

Or is this a matter of you just liking Pacific Crest's show so much that you don't think BK and Crossmen deserve to pass them up?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

This is not how it works though. The judges for last night could care less about Saturday. They are just judging last night for what it is. No preconceived notions. And while Saturday was a large Regional show DCI does not send out a memo to all the judges that states "The scores and captions recorded on this day, July 22, 2023 share be forever-more the spreads and general assumptions of who is better and how they should be scored."

Let's face it, some judges last night looked at those shows ( in their caption ) and had a very different opinion...or perhaps they saw and heard very real issues. 

Our they are bought and paid for, is always my first thought if they don't go my way !!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

This is not how it works though. The judges for last night could care less about Saturday. They are just judging last night for what it is. No preconceived notions. And while Saturday was a large Regional show DCI does not send out a memo to all the judges that states "The scores and captions recorded on this day, July 22, 2023 share be forever-more the spreads and general assumptions of who is better and how they should be scored."

There's a lot of new blood in the judging ranks, which is honestly a good thing. It's good for new perspectives and opinions to be present among the judging ranks. If we always had the same set of judges and never introduced new perspectives into the judging ranks, people would continue complaining (like they already do now) that only certain corps or styles are favored by the judges. 

• Like 3