Allentown uh-oh

It has been quite a few years since I was at Allentown and I was wondering if they had moved the corps yet to perform further from the stadium. The top corps blasting their warmups really intruded on the corps actually performing on the field. By they way the top corps performing near the end didn't have this happen to them. I asked a corps director about this at the time and he said that's Allentown. I have seen only maybe twenty DCI shows in person but Allentown was the only location where I was distracted by external sounds.

• Thanks 1

Allentown is kind of a historic site for DCI East. Just hoping they can figure out the seating issue if this is the case. I really have not heard anything. I agree with @Jeff Ream that if they ever did have to move DCI East that Annapolis would be a good possibility. Maybe the University of Maryland near D.C. 

The University of Delaware actually has a pretty fantastic stadium with no track that would be perfect for this. 

fb-delaware-stadium-drone-update-august-

I believe all the construction work is completed now. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Allentown is kind of a historic site for DCI East. Just hoping they can figure out the seating issue if this is the case. I really have not heard anything. I agree with @Jeff Ream that if they ever did have to move DCI East that Annapolis would be a good possibility. Maybe the University of Maryland near D.C. 

The University of Delaware actually has a pretty fantastic stadium with no track that would be perfect for this. 

fb-delaware-stadium-drone-update-august-

I believe all the construction work is completed now. 

That’s where Boston is this week. For 3 days.  Looks like a great facility.  With adjacent fields and a football field field house. If cost effective, it might be a good option for Allentown.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Wow that Delaware stadium looks really nice!!!!

There are adjacent fields, covered football field sized field house too.  No idea about parking or local “amenities” like restaurants and hotels but it would be worth researching.  Looks like everything was recently renovated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Syracuse Carrier Dome. No weather worries, club seating.

DCI should see if it is available. Syracuse has always been a big drum corps city. 

Logistical nightmare to get corps in and out.  Also the sound in there is probably horrible

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

22,000 seat stadium.  Don’t know what is on “concert” side.  Showing my age with that remark.

What is the seating capacity at Allentown? Do we know the seating capacity concert side at the Naval Academy? 

The first DCI East shows in 1973, 74, and 75 were in Lowell, MA, most likely at Cawley Stadium which is not the size of Allentown. It was decided to move the show to Allentown after 75 but I do not know why. Since DCI was in Philadelphia there was no DCI East in 76. When CYO Nationals and the World Open were no longer held, there was talk of a major DCI show in New England but this was at a time corps were folding left and right, so that would never have happened. People weren’t attending DCE shows in huge numbers (compared to CYO Nationals and World Open), why would they attend a major DCI show.

I don’t want to see DCI East moved. If it has to happen, Annapolis would be a good venue, but “East” is north of the Mason Dixon Line. Annapolis is south and would be considered “Mid-Atlantic. Picky? Perhaps but Allentown is about tradition. Met-Life would be costly. Rutgers, the stadium in Bridgeport, CT, or further east at Boston College would be great choices. Though it has been remodeled since 1986, BC was the home of CYO Nationals most years so it has historical connections.