Why is Jersey Surf even still a world class corps?

6 hours ago, Algernon said:

Answer these question:

* Are they turning over staff and members yearly?

* Does the corps have outside sources of revenue than membership fees?

* Is the membership fee commensurate with number of days on the road and performance opportunities?

I do not believe their is  mechanism to move a corps from World Class to Open Class. Perhaps their needs to be an intermediate class (like WGI) that has corps that share similar on and off field attributes- Music City, Genesis, Cascades, Spartans, Gold, Guardians, Southwind, Battalion.....

However, if DCI asked SCV these questions you just posed, and got correct answers from them with internal audits from DCI,  then SCV would be participating in Open Class. ( or not at all in 2022 )..  and likely even before the start of the 2022 season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mariana said:

They have their entire season separate from every drum corp, don’t score very well and almost always barely make semfinals. They also have a bunch of weird breaks in their calendar.

Why haven’t they demoted Jersey Surf to Open Class? It would be fair. Seattle Cascades is struggling this season but at least they tour with everyone else and it’s only their first season back so they’re growing. Spirit of Atlanta was lucky to have a successful first year back but we can respect it’s taking Seattle Cascades a little longer.

Jersey Surf has been here years and done nothing productive to advance the activity. Why are they still somehow a World Class Corps?

World class has zero to do with scores and is all about financial status. Dci has in the past allowed limited touring for world class corps, so no new ground broken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m glad other people spoke up in their defense because the Jersey native in me was dialing Tony Soprano as soon as I read the subject line …

How you doin?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

If it weren't for Surf, I wouldn't have marched Cadets, wouldn't have done so well in the Navy, and probably wouldn't have the life I have now. 

giphy.gif

I opened this topic and got ###### again until I got to this post. I have sent MANY students to surf and they all had a great time. They all marched with people that went on to top groups in DCI and Wgi. Oakland As are the worst team in baseball year after year but this players are still major league players not minor league. If you haven't learned yet somebody has to finish last no matter what. Tell me what place mandarins were in 10 years ago compared to now. Just because your down now doesn't mean they will forever. Also, they aren't in last right now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lance said:

what a weird thing to be so negative about.  thank you jersey surf for being a wc corps. 

I feel Surf kicked her puppy or something.  She also was rude about them making semi-finals last year....out of 8 posts, 2 are negative to jersey surf....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I opened this topic and got ###### again until I got to this post. I have sent MANY students to surf and they all had a great time. They all marched with people that went on to top groups in DCI and Wgi. Oakland As are the worst team in baseball year after year but this players are still major league players not minor league. If you haven't learned yet somebody has to finish last no matter what. Tell me what place mandarins were in 10 years ago compared to now. Just because your down now doesn't mean they will forever. Also, they aren't in last right now. 

As a Rangers fan, I know full well that some times you’re the bug, others the windshield. Besides the fact that I’ve heard nothing but good things about the experience their members have, who knows where they’ll be in the coming years? (Not that I’m saying that’s their goal- I have no idea as an outsider.) Seems like a weird thing for the OP to rant about.