Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Not challenging you, but if the scores are comparable between the two nights, does that mean Allentown is the only show where judges can't go back and change their individual caption scores once everyone has performed?

I say that because I learned earlier this season judges now have that capability to do that. For example.......Corps A performs first and gets an 18.5 in brass, Corps B goes last, judge feels Corps A was better in brass and he can now go back and change their initial brass score he had given them earlier in the evening.

But with night one's scores in the books, do the judges resort back to the old way and "leave room" for night two?

Am I incorrect, or is there a key component I am missing? 

Thanks you.

No, you are correct. They have the ability to go back and change scores. 

I think people are confusing things. Sure DCI considers it one show. But DCI isn’t on here saying all four corps are within 0.5 of each other because of scores on different nights. DCI isn’t saying anything at all. People on here are.

Edited by Vuitton

7 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Not challenging you, but if the scores are comparable between the two nights, does that mean Allentown is the only show where judges can't go back and change their individual caption scores once everyone has performed?

I say that because I learned earlier this season judges now have that capability to do that. For example.......Corps A performs first and gets an 18.5 in brass, Corps B goes last, judge feels Corps A was better in brass and he can now go back and change their initial brass score he had given them earlier in the evening.

But with night one's scores in the books, do the judges resort back to the old way and "leave room" for night two?

Am I incorrect, or is there a key component I am missing? 

Thanks you.

Adding the word "but" after your first 3 words makes them meaningless. Lol. Just say you're challenging me, as a BD fan because BD went on the day before. It's always like this. The fans of the corps on Day 1 say you can't compare, and the fans of the corps on Day 2 say you can (as well as DCI).

We've been saying all season that the judges are calling it as they see it, yet for some reason (and we all know why) Allentown is the exception to this rule. We can't have it both ways here people.

As for your question, I don't believe they did "leave room" for night two, because let's be honest, if that were the case would the scores be so incredibly close as they are? I highly doubt it. 

Coming from someone who has dealt with adjudicators for the better half of the last 15 years, you can very much compare the scores from Allentown. The judges went in knowing that they would be judging the same captions both days, and they knew that the two days would be scored as one competition. This isn't like Atlanta and NightBEAT where they are two completely different shows that (for some reason) both determine the lineup for Allentown. That's what the outrage should be about, not a 2 Day show that has the same judges in the same captions. 

With this thought process, I guess BOA is definitely going to have to do some restructuring and figure out how to put more hours in the day to fit all 90+ bands into one day that attend Grand Nationals every year, since we can't compare scores from 2 different days with the same panel of judges.

5 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Adding the word "but" after your first 3 words makes them meaningless. Lol. Just say you're challenging me, as a BD fan because BD went on the day before. It's always like this. The fans of the corps on Day 1 say you can't compare, and the fans of the corps on Day 2 say you can (as well as DCI).

We've been saying all season that the judges are calling it as they see it, yet for some reason (and we all know why) Allentown is the exception to this rule. We can't have it both ways here people.

As for your question, I don't believe they did "leave room" for night two, because let's be honest, if that were the case would the scores be so incredibly close as they are? I highly doubt it. 

Coming from someone who has dealt with adjudicators for the better half of the last 15 years, you can very much compare the scores from Allentown. The judges went in knowing that they would be judging the same captions both days, and they knew that the two days would be scored as one competition. This isn't like Atlanta and NightBEAT where they are two completely different shows that (for some reason) both determine the lineup for Allentown. That's what the outrage should be about, not a 2 Day show that has the same judges in the same captions. 

With this thought process, I guess BOA is definitely going to have to do some restructuring and figure out how to put more hours in the day to fit all 90+ bands into one day that attend Grand Nationals every year, since we can't compare scores from 2 different days with the same panel of judges.

Seriously? I came at you with respect and was literally just picking your brain as to how certain things work in this activity as you clearly have more knowledge than I do, as does most people on this forum. 

I never marched, and I depend on many people on DCP to teach me the intricates of drum corps, which is something I have done for years on this site. 

BTW, my son's corps performed on night two, and right now that's where my main priorities are. 

My apologies for asking you questions. God Bless you and have a wonderful weekend. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Seriously? I came at you with respect and was literally just picking your brain as to how certain things work in this activity as you clearly have more knowledge than I do, as does most people on this forum. 

I never marched, and I depend on many people on DCP to teach me the intricates of drum corps, which is something I have done for years on this site. 

BTW, my son's corps performed on night two, and right now that's where my main priorities are. 

My apologies for asking you questions. God Bless you and have a wonderful weekend. 

I'm sorry if my message came across as hostile. It certainly wasn't my intention. I think the majority of my comment was geared towards the general populous rather than just you. Really it was just the first part of the comment that was towards you, and that wasn't meant as hostile either. I was basically saying it was okay to say you were challenging me if that were the case, that I didn't mind at all. 

Again, I'm sorry that you felt that way coming away from my comment. It wasn't my intention at all.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And they did great Chief! Glad I got to see them as it was a genuine pleasure!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I'm sorry if my message came across as hostile. It certainly wasn't my intention. I think the majority of my comment was geared towards the general populous rather than just you. Really it was just the first part of the comment that was towards you, and that wasn't meant as hostile either. I was basically saying it was okay to say you were challenging me if that were the case, that I didn't mind at all. 

Again, I'm sorry that you felt that way coming away from my comment. It wasn't my intention at all.

All good brother. Water under the bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

No, you are correct. They have the ability to go back and change scores. 

I think people are confusing things. Sure DCI considers it one show. But DCI isn’t on here saying all four corps are within 0.5 of each other because of scores on different nights. DCI isn’t saying anything at all. People on here are.

Actually,  if you read today's article on dci.org regarding Boston, DCI IS in fact saying just that,  and prominently brings up the fact that Boston is now 3 tenths behind BD.  Their words...not mine. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, craiga said:

Actually,  if you read today's article on dci.org regarding Boston, DCI IS in fact saying just that,  and prominently brings up the fact that Boston is now 3 tenths behind BD.  Their words...not mine. 

For reference before someone says they can't find it...

Boston Crusaders makes a splash at closely-contested Allentown Saturday (dci.org)

Second paragraph reads:

The New England corps, which posted the second-highest overall score of the two-night event, just three tenths of a point behind the Blue Devils’ mark of 95.775, earned a substantial advantage in visual captions, and a close edge in music captions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

As we have tried to explain to you, it doesn’t matter what DCI’s official line is. You cannot compare scores on two different nights period. 

Yeah OK.  The only time you might be able to get a reasonable similar read,  is by using the same panel in the same positions.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Yeah OK.  The only time you might be able to get a reasonable similar read,  is by using the same panel in the same positions.  

You forgot “On the same night.”