DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

37 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

4.     Carolina Crown 96.975 * (2ndLush horn line and I think I am beginning to follow what the prancing guys are doing.  BTW, I thought King Arthur got stabbed, but he seemed to be OK by the Crown set.  Can somebody tell me the story?

5 parts:

1) Arthur taking the throne of Camelot (pulling Excalibur out)

2) Basically the development of Camelot and it’s Knights

3) The love triangle of King Arthur, his wife Queen Guinevere and Sir Lancelot

4) The “meltdown” of King Arthur into chaos in Camelot leading to Arthur being stabbed and wounded

5) Arthur is healed back by his people and Camelot returns to its glory

VERY roughly speaking, that’s the show this year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bkbass98 said:

they have a great clarity of sound but I thought they let some low level stuff go. BAC quads on the other hand…got DAYUM! Straight 🔥 

Julie Davis will set the record straight in percussion this Saturday night. (Do a composite of both nights in Allentown)

24 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I love the interviews with show designers, it's fascinating to get a look inside their heads

Will never see The Cut Outs the same way again😳 And I'm totally fine with that. Would love BD to go all-out "dark show" one year

19 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

Check out '95 and '96

Throw 2000 with the Bernard Hermann in there for good measure. Methods of Madness is one of my favorite BD shows ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

5 parts:

1) Arthur taking the throne of Camelot (pulling Excalibur out)

2) Basically the development of Camelot and it’s Knights

3) The love triangle of King Arthur, his wife Queen Guinevere and Sir Lancelot

4) The “meltdown” of King Arthur into chaos in Camelot leading to Arthur being stabbed and wounded

5) Arthur is healed back by his people and Camelot returns to its glory

VERY roughly speaking, that’s the show this year.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

J Webb plans to ruin the night tomorrow. 😂

Yeah,  i'm afraid PC can forget about 12th.  J Webb tore them up earlier in the season.

• Like 2

I just arrived back at the hotel. My ears are still ringing and probably will for a while. 

I was a bit surprised with 2-4. Blue Devils were on target though I thought they were too over amplified but I don’t know of any corps who has ever had their score influenced positively or negatively by being over amplified. 

I thought it would be either Crown or BAC battling for 2 and 3 with Bloo in 4th. Both Crown and BAC have a clear story and tell it well. Boston Crusaders is impeccably clean. Crown was on target tonight and their brass amazing. Bloo was great but their opening doesn’t grab me. We will see movement in the top 4. 

Cadets in 5th was no surprise but I expected Phantom to place 6th. Mandarins have a great show but it is gimmicky and I expected they’d be in 7th.

I thought Troopers were better than 11th though Colts had a great run. After Glassboro and Allentown I thought Blue Stars had plateaued, but they were alive this evening. 12-15 placed as I thought they would but I expected it to be closer. Blue Knights should not test too comfortably, Crossmen could come out roaring tomorrow.

No major surprises with 16-31. I did wonder if The Battalion might find themselves in the top 25. Guardians were better than I expected based on quite a few negative comments in other posts. We’ll be hearing more from Columbians in the future. Raiders had an enjoyable show and Les Stentors have a lot of talent for a small corps. They still offer lessons to young people with no musical experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bluecoats: ‘Hold my beer’ 

If someone ever asks for a year by year analysis of Bluecoats shows I'm sending them this

15 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

BD props are usually for storage and set changes. They have been coat racks for uniform changes on many occasions for BD.

Flag and equipment changes are stored in many corps props to eliminate the need to run to the sidelines or end zones.

That's true.  They have a shelf under each cut out prop.

14 minutes ago, Jnecker said:

Being a new Corp parent and of course loving you own kids shows I find it interesting how so many see so many shows in such a different way.  They are all good shows, to me what stands out to me is I like the overall entertainment and music. I like the Colts show, my son is in it, love the music, the guard is good, I think the percussion is underrated in a great percussion field, I love the brass, great playing not just loud playing.  With that said I see the Colts kinda where they are right now. I think the have grown better than the Blue Stars and I am not a huge Trooper show fan but Colts and Troop have been neck and neck all year. I can see where Phantom, Cadets and Mandarins are all just a touch better overall, but that does not mean as entertainment I like them all better than the Colts.  I then see that the Blue Devils are good, really good and are so clean, great music, outstanding guards. I see why the are good.  Same in many way for the Bcoats, BC and Crown.  I am not a particular fan of the cavies show but that percussion keeps them slightly ahed of the Colts right now. So my final 12 is  Crossman, Blue Stars, Troopers,  tie Colts and cavies, phantom, mandarins,cadets,Boston, crown, bloo,bd.

The investment you are paying, & not just monetary, are going to pay lifelong dividends for your kid. 

Good job!  

• Like 8