The Cavaliers 2024

45 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

I think the performance rights are tied to the number of public performances you profit from.  Securing those rights varies depending on who either owns or controls the music, and the agreements in place around that. For instance (if I recall correctly), Bloo securing The Beatles music required Universal’s approval then representatives of The Beatles estate had to approve to protect their brand and image…and likely, they had to approve final drafts of the arrangements too since they differ from the source material.  But that’s a unique situation, that’s more complex than the normal.

Some songs are public domain, if they are over 100 years old, the trademark expires and corps don’t have to pay for rights or even secure permission.  And if it’s original music, it’s just a contract with the composer….like this year, it seems John Mackey will own the rights after Crown performs bc he’s stated he will rearrange for band after the season.

So not a straight forward answer. It can be easy or complicated, depending on the music and owner. 

I believe groups have to do the same (have the estate approve the arrangements) for Bernstein music, as the estate feels that they have gotten burned in the past.  At least that’s the way that it was not that long ago.

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I believe groups have to do the same (have the estate approve the arrangements) for Bernstein music, as the estate feels that they have gotten burned in the past.  At least that’s the way that it was not that long ago.

Probably so.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 12:23 AM, Bruckner8 said:

Cavies marching 16 again? 🙂

Cavies?

Oh, right. This is a Cavies show thread. 😀

Edited by mjoakes
  • Haha 1

And thus not much to talk about…😀

Since most corps haven’t announced themes, there’s not much to talk about in general…except BDs dominance and SCVs issues. 😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️🤓

And thus not much to talk about…😀

I mean, I know the theme and some of the plans, but they'd get mad at me if I shared, so....

Also, since they're not currently top 5, they don't get much attention.

Plus, DCP has died off quite a bit, especially since Covid. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 12:23 AM, Bruckner8 said:

Cavies marching 16 again? 🙂

I count 14 tuba on Facebook post of low brass.  One fan will be disappointed.

• Like 1