The Cavaliers 2024

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. Before the information age, we never knew what the Cavaliers or Phantom or Belleville or the Guardsmen or Madison were going to do year to year in the upcoming season. You might read a snippet in Drum Corps World or Drum Corps News and maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't.  I lived without it then, I can live without it now.  So tease all you want. Just entertain me this summer. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. Before the information age, we never knew what the Cavaliers or Phantom or Belleville or the Guardsmen or Madison were going to do year to year in the upcoming season. You might read a snippet in Drum Corps World or Drum Corps News and maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't.  I lived without it then, I can live without it now.  So tease all you want. Just entertain me this summer. 

They’ve been announcing shows online since, at least, 2001.  And back then, most of the shows were announced late March through April because we would write them on the white board at school for us to talk about in band. It’s a bit absurd waiting until the end of May now, which is regressive for no reason. 

I think it would be good for the quality of drum corps to announce earlier because the production aspect of these shows have increased dramatically over the past couple decades. Earlier disclosure of theme and music forces earlier decisions to be made on concept, securing rights to music, and show design. The earlier they have that settled in, the more time they have on executing against the vision which leads to better crafted productions, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Valid points, NA. I'm from a way different era. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Well actually the DCI Today newspaper I want it say the April edition included just about every corps show and music choices.  This was around 1987 and was the case for a while.    That ship has sailed and these days corps have a totally different approach regarding show announcements.  Annoying sometimes but not a huge deal 

27 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

They’ve been announcing shows online since, at least, 2001.  And back then, most of the shows were announced late March through April because we would write them on the white board at school for us to talk about in band. It’s a bit absurd waiting until the end of May now, which is regressive for no reason. 

I think it would be good for the quality of drum corps to announce earlier because the production aspect of these shows have increased dramatically over the past couple decades. Earlier disclosure of theme and music forces earlier decisions to be made on concept, securing rights to music, and show design. The earlier they have that settled in, the more time they have on executing against the vision which leads to better crafted productions, in my opinion. 

The late announcements may have a few factors contributing to holding off.  Securing the rights - confirmation of the secured rights may be late simply because the process of it all.  Some rights to music may take a long time.
Show design - knowing what the membership make up is, may not be finalized until all auditions are complete, contracts awarded, guard filled (after April).  Designing and programming a show would want these elements finalized to some degree.

And maybe corps don’t want to hear all the preseason critiques from armchair designers.  

BITD we didn’t know what a corps show was until they hit the first show of the year.  Our penchant for “needing to know” gets a bit ridiculous.  Knowing Troopers show months ago didn’t make me sleep any better.

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The late announcements may have a few factors contributing to holding off.  Securing the rights - confirmation of the secured rights may be late simply because the process of it all.  Some rights to music may take a long time.
Show design - knowing what the membership make up is, may not be finalized until all auditions are complete, contracts awarded, guard filled (after April).  Designing and programming a show would want these elements finalized to some degree.

And maybe corps don’t want to hear all the preseason critiques from armchair designers.  

BITD we didn’t know what a corps show was until they hit the first show of the year.  Our penchant for “needing to know” gets a bit ridiculous.  Knowing Troopers show months ago didn’t make me sleep any better.

Agree it could be because of a multitude of reasons.

Im focused on what I believe is best for the health and quality of drum corps.  The reality is the world of drum corps is evolving. These shows are becoming mini-stage productions with props, sound, more complex costumes, and potentially lighting and acrobatics one day..if it follows the WGI trends.

Proactively having all their considerations in place (music selection, securing rights, membership decisions, budgets, etc) earlier than end of May means better organized and administered corps which is vital as the production levels of the shows increase.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Heck we barely knew most of the time ourselves because it changed all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

What would the reason be that Bluecoats announced the complete rep and not their title yet?  They presumably have secured the performance rights to all of the pieces that they are playing, so that theory for them seems out.  Also seems that if they released the rep, they’re not afraid of any type of preseason critique.

it’s getting harder and harder to stay engaged outside of the now 6-7 week season.

3 hours ago, NewArpege said:

Agree it could be because of a multitude of reasons.

Im focused on what I believe is best for the health and quality of drum corps.  The reality is the world of drum corps is evolving. These shows are becoming mini-stage productions with props, sound, more complex costumes, and potentially lighting and acrobatics one day..if it follows the WGI trends.

Proactively having all their considerations in place (music selection, securing rights, membership decisions, budgets, etc) earlier than end of May means better organized and administered corps which is vital as the production levels of the shows increase.  

Most of the time the corps hands are tied waiting for the music owners to approve rights and licenses for use. It isn’t that they don’t have their plans in place and haven’t done their due diligence. They’re just at the mercy of the industry.