The Staff Merry-go-round

12 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

Right. And the point I think PLA was trying to make is that there's still a long way to go. Unfortunately, it was done in a manner that made the BK leadership uncomfortable.

Within the last year or so a guard judge posted an image of a panel she was on, I think noting that it was the first all female panel she had served on in decades of adjudicating. Wild to think that an activity where you might have a single male performer in a high school unit is so heavily slanted towards males on the judging side of things.

this year was the first time a woman judged percussion on the field at finals. lots of growth in diversity. also it takes time...anyonewho thought it would change overnight was un realistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this year was the first time a woman judged percussion on the field at finals. lots of growth in diversity. also it takes time...anyonewho thought it would change overnight was un realistic.

And boy did she call it right. I soooo hope they release her judge tapes I’d be stoked to hear them 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If you people could atleast use they/them since you had to go to their Facebook page to see the post you know that's the preferred wording. 

Also, calling people "you people" has been a pet peeve of mine for decades. Yeah, they changed that, and the poster changed it, and was an innocent thing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Doubtful Saucedo is going anywhere else than Cavaliers. The vibe this year (from the staffers I talked to) was completely different than the chaos last year, and corps management would be goofy not to want to hold on to him. Same with the percussion team: they have every reason to be happy, and happy people don't run away from home. Hope Rosemont can hold on to the guard staff, as they were an obvious upgrade over the last few years in terms of recruiting and teaching (most improved guard this season, and it's not up for debate). 

Visual design and brass instruction were the two weakest areas, and you'd have to believe they're looking at upgrades/changes  in both areas.

...and all I've ever stated is that from what we've been told, Saucedo said he was arranging for this year. It was open-ended, and we don't know what the admin talks about behind closed doors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

...and all I've ever stated is that from what we've been told, Saucedo said he was arranging for this year. It was open-ended, and we don't know what the admin talks about behind closed doors.

They definitely said on the Marching Roundtable podcast that they were already working together or looking forward to working together this upcoming season as well. Meaning the current design team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

A question for anyone in the know.

how long is Santa Clara’s staff on hold for? I thought I heard that they were paid for 2023. Do they become freelance? The decision has to be soon regarding 2024. auditions start in two months.

And if so, does a certain brass arranger and certain brass caption manager go to a certain corps that just so happens to be rumored of needing both. Hmmm…..I could think of worse things lol. 

I would expect that if SCV returns, they will have all of Gaines, Van Doren, Rennick etc. on staff.

If SCV announces they are not returning then all bets could be off but until they announce 1 way or another they aren't going anywhere as far as I know. Obviously that information should be coming within the next month since people need to plan auditions.

16 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I would expect that if SCV returns, they will have all of Gaines, Van Doren, Rennick etc. on staff.

If SCV announces they are not returning then all bets could be off but until they announce 1 way or another they aren't going anywhere as far as I know. Obviously that information should be coming within the next month since people need to plan auditions.

They're already way behind on the audition train. I truly would be shocked if they return. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

I'd say it's also possible that, if SCV doesn't return next year, those particular designers mentioned won't necessarily be elsewhere in 2024. 
- Gaines spent several years out of drum corps and got back in only at a corps in the town where he lives
- Van Doren has arranged in DCI for only one season, though he might be sought after now
- Rennick(s) would be the most likely of the three to be in a new role next year given that he's been in it for so long, though he could also say "arranging for Troopers is enough for me"

Otherwise
- Koter, Toth, and Woodley were presumably encouraged back into drum corps by Gaines, so they may not be itching to go elsewhere
- Rosales would probably be sought after and could go anywhere

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

They're already way behind on the audition train. I truly would be shocked if they return. 

I would’ve hoped they announced the return prior to/during finals week. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

A women or man being the first of their gender to do something doesn't mean they're the best qualified.  Over the years we've seen others who weren't ready in politics, professional sports, academia, to take on a key position.  Between A-Town and Finals night, music captions don't change drastically, but as some percussion posters have noted, what happened this year was a "head scratcher".

• Confused 1