The Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I would agree that demographics don't mean someone is qualified. But Julie is just as qualified as Prosperie, Kristensen, Ausdemore. That being said, it should be noted that she was the first female percussion judge at finals in DCI history. And she earned it. 

The drumlines this year were very solid top to bottom and I can definitely see how there was switching going on. Let us not forget front ensembles are more a part of the equation now than they ever used to be. Sorry, but if your line is the back playing the hard crap, it's not going to get as much credit as it used to. 

It's also a waste of time, effort, and energy to do so. Shows have focal points where we want everyone's eyes and ears to focus during a performance. if you aren't focal point at that moment, it doesn't need to be overly difficult. You just need to do your job. If everyone did everything hard it would just sound like 1 big long prog rock song featuring some guitar player wank on his guitar for 12 minutes.

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Come on

You can't tell me people don't just love talking about all the bad things that have gone on in this activity. Society loves focusing on the negative.

If doesn't matter if you are drummer picking ticks or watching the evening news and listening to everything horrible happening in the world. This place is no different.

• Haha 1

Vanguard was on the schedule for 2023.  Then they put out an amended schedule that had them missing the Rose Bowl (first weekend).  Try as they might, the numbers still failed them.  

This go 'round, they may be keeping things closer to the vest (the recent and horrendous press release, notwithstanding). 

I'll lay odds that 2024 is a 200:1 against. 

2025 would still be a 50:1 proposition to field anything. 

14 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Individuals and future people commenting on a topic - You people.  Could say it also fits the topic of they/them since people is better use than guys. Or snark away about a comment bringing awareness to a person that I believe was the first ever they/them in that position in DCI. 

Interesting justification for using one offensive word/phrase while trying to defend another potentially offensive word/phrase.

They are my "Cavalier brother" and I love them and I respect them. That pronoun is the most confusing thing on the planet.

I say we pick pronouns that aren't already taken? It would lessen some confusion.

...and believe me, I have to combat antigay and anti-trans comments all the time and to the point that I block people on social media.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’m curious; what makes her as qualified as the three you mentioned?  Teaching experience?  Judging experience?

Julie is an accomplished musician, instructor, and adjudicator. She's performed in the activity, taught winning percussion ensembles, has judged WGI percussion for years, and serves on the Percussion Advisory Board which literally sets the standards for percussion adjudication. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

53 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Maybe I choose not to believe every post on this place like some people but if you've ever met anyone who is a go getter and gets things done, they don't believe the words can't, won't and impossible.

Everyone in this place is just ready to give up, close up shop and write them off for dead and expect their staff to jump to their favorite corps and that clearly hasn't happened fast enough for people wishing for their demise.

It isn't about wishing for their demise. It's looking at the facts and understanding the situation. Year's of incompetent leadership and turnover led to non compliance. They still cannot even solicit donations. The drum corps season is over. They have listed no anticipation of audition dates. They are entirely behind the ball here. Their "press release" was a total precursor to them announcing they won't be returning next year either. Sorry, but this organization is doomed and frankly DCI is just standing by and watching it go under. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Julie is an accomplished musician, instructor, and adjudicator. She's performed in the activity, taught winning percussion ensembles, has judged WGI percussion for years, and serves on the Percussion Advisory Board which literally sets the standards for percussion adjudication. 

And she is a highly regraded composer and arranger for percussion through Rolloff publications and is so highly respected by the broader percussion community that she was elected as President of the Percussive Arts Society for the current term. Pardon the expression by Julie is a bad ###!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Maybe I choose not to believe every post on this place like some people but if you've ever met anyone who is a go getter and gets things done, they don't believe the words can't, won't and impossible.

Everyone in this place is just ready to give up, close up shop and write them off for dead and expect their staff to jump to their favorite corps and that clearly hasn't happened fast enough for people wishing for their demise.

It’s not about giving up but transparency. I many scv alumni and they have no idea whats going. All they get is letters for money. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

They didn't have to take a year off due to their financial status and organization status with their state, did they? Big difference there. Apples and oranges.

For what it’s worth, Cadets were EXTREMELY close to not coming out in 2020. COVID bought them some much needed time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1