The Staff Merry-go-round

10 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/2023-roster-of-nfl-officials/

And to clarify, you get their names and not a detailed bio of every league they officiated or played before now that qualifies them to do their job at the NFL level.

But the training component on the site explains that.

39 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Does the NFL or other such entities post info on their refs?

Yes, sometimes they mention what they do for a living full time right on the telecast, as I have heard it said several times over the years. College refs too.. But its like comparing apples to oranges, imo. NFL Refs are trained on the rules of the game that are pretty straight forward,ie  what a TD is, what offsides penalties are, what false starts are, etc and the like. While some things are subjective, its not like judging a Drum Corps where so much of what is done on the football field is FAR more open to subjective interpretation than what refs do in a football game on that same football field. The NFL even has refs decisions frequently overturned via replay of the action on that football field. DCI judges are not subject to such immediate overturns of their decisions. Thus, DCI judges require far more skill in what they do. They actually determine winners. NFL refs dont determine winners. They enforce the rules of the competition, no more, no less. So there really is no need to know their bios/ experience outside of their referee duties, imo.

Edited by Boss Anova

58 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Yes.  The NFL does on an NFL site, extensive list of officials and other info like training process.

MLB has to be doing the same thing.  How long before Angel Hernandez is no longer earning $430,00 per year.  He must be glad he belongs to a union.

Edited by TOC

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes, sometimes they mention what they do for a living full time right on the telecast, as I have heard it said several times over the years. College refs too.. But its like comparing apples to oranges, imo. NFL Refs are trained on the rules of the game that are pretty straight forward,ie  what a TD is, what offsides penalties are, what false starts are, etc and the like. While some things are subjective, its not like judging a Drum Corps where so much of what is done on the football field is FAR more open to subjective interpretation than what refs do in a football game on that same football field. The NFL even has refs decisions frequently overturned via replay of the action on that football field. DCI judges are not subject to such immediate overturns of their decisions. Thus, DCI judges require far more skill in what they do. They actually determine winners. NFL refs dont determine winners. They enforce the rules of the competition, no more, no less. So there really is no need to know their bios/ experience outside of their referee duties, imo.

I'm not sure I understand what is and is not a catch in the NFL anymore.

And for the record, Logan Wilson was not holding Cooper Kupp in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. That call very well might have cost the Bengals the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

For those new to this annual thread, a lot of Corps hold off traditionally on announcements of hired staff until Sept.. A lot of handshake style verbal agreements are made in season, especially at Championships. But then contracts need drawn up, sent, looked over, signed, returned... and staff being replaced notified. Sometimes we get info on comings and goings before Sept., but these things begin to accelerate in terms of public announcements usually right after Labor Day.

I mean this is the slowest it's ever been since the rule was made ( thanks Boston :tongue: ) but normally Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter posts signal change and so far we only have 3 I believe. I mean in a successful year maybe it's good to not change things unless something happened. 

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Made me think of a tv show or movie where friends and families are in the hospital hallways waiting for the doctor to come with updates on their loved ones.

That’s actually a very apt analogy 

11 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

WGI lists their judges and has bios. But scoring/judging in the WGI world appears less emotionally charged from the fans in comparison to DCI, BOA, Marching band in general. 

I do agree there should be more resources available about the judging process in general. I think that would be helpful. But unfortunately bios of judges to just add ammo to crazies out there I think would be dangerous. We all want to tout the importance of member safety, that has to go for the judges as well.

were you here in April after percussion championships?

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

Ok, you Dallas fan living in Pennsy.

South Central PA. i'm surrounded by lunacy is 3 states and a District

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

For those new to this annual thread, a lot of Corps hold off traditionally on announcements of hired staff until Sept.. A lot of handshake style verbal agreements are made in season, especially at Championships. But then contracts need drawn up, sent, looked over, signed, returned... and staff being replaced notified. Sometimes we get info on comings and goings before Sept., but these things begin to accelerate in terms of public announcements usually right after Labor Day.

it's actually a DCI policy to hold off after the explosion of 2016

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's actually a DCI policy to hold off after the explosion of 2016

What happened