The Staff Merry-go-round

10 hours ago, MM2006 said:

…what could possibly go wrong?… 😬

Artistically, sure but Michael is notorious for creating a very negative member experience. Have fun, troop! 

Focus group of one here, but...

Worked with Michael on a drum corps project and was pleasantly surprised at the experience. Nice guy who cares deeply about good design, good instruction, and a great member experience. Can't speak to anything that happened with anyone else.

I honestly think there will be a really good fit there. Excited to see what comes to life!

11 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

Building on The Doctoress' accurate assessment, I recommend watching Onyx 2010-2014, 2017, and 2019. They are on their own planet and you can't look away.

Watched 23 and that was enough. Members are undoubtedly talented. Movement style is definitely out there for colorguard, mostly mixing gymnastics with commercial/studio contemporary dance tricks... which is effective. Suffice to say my overall response was "owie, they're gonna feel that in the next decade."

Hoping the rumors aren't true, as my first look at the Troop guard last season was one of concern for member experience right away.

11 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Parties is the know should strongly consider reporting to Troop and Onyx if this is the case.

As if people care? Organizations just want a team with notoriety and after last seasons colorguard, Troop just wants a team that will bring in kids. Keeping them is another story. 

Edited by MM2006
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Parties is the know should strongly consider reporting to Troop and Onyx if this is the case.

Report what? That a poster on Drum Corps Planet said some students of their new hire allegedly complained about a poor experience? We cannot accept every comment posted here as truth or accurate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 9/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, musicteacher said:

Bossa,

Some of your early Star history is off. Jim Mason was not the brass arranger. Larry Kerchner was. Mason was management, with possibly a hand in design. I don't recall Michael Cesario being part of that team, although I could be wrong. DeLucia was indeed part of that team, but he was hardly poached. Bridgemen were done or nearly done by that time.

Not mentioned in your comments, but Prime and Hannum came later. Prime hadn't written for Cadets since 1984. Both Hannum and Zingali (as well as Sylvester) were with Cadets as late as 1988. I don't know if you could call them landing in Star a poaching. I believe they left of their own accord from Cadets. Brubaker wrote for Star early on.

I read that Mason arranged a bunch of '87 Star while Prime and Kerchner weren't around.

42 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

Report what? That a poster on Drum Corps Planet said some students of their new hire allegedly complained about a poor experience? We cannot accept every comment posted here as truth or accurate. 

No. That's why I said, "parties in the know" not "just some random anon who heard it in the internet."

Surprised people still don't understand how legit reporting works yet. If DCP poster knows someone with actual, lived adverse experiences with a staffer, I was informing them that best practice is to encourage that person to report to aforementioned groups so they can begin an investigation.

It benefits no one to report based on anon internet posts, that's why that's not what I said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

No. That's why I said, "parties in the know" not "just some random anon who heard it in the internet."

Surprised people still don't understand how legit reporting works yet. If DCP poster knows someone with actual, lived adverse experiences with a staffer, I was informing them that best practice is to encourage that person to report to aforementioned groups so they can begin an investigation.

It benefits no one to report based on anon internet posts, that's why that's not what I said.

Your original suggestion was perfectly clear and perfectly reasonable to me.

while the responder and others could be legitimately be concerned about the reputation of a pageantry arts professional being smeared by unverified innuendo on DCP, I think the effect of your suggestion would be to take the discussion off DCP  and direct the people who may have knowledge to appropriate reporting channels. 

Thanks for sharing good counsel.

Kerchner may not have been around in 1987, but I'd bet anything that those were his charts. Most of that material had been performed by Bridgemen. 1982 North Star performed his chart on Sabre Dance, which -- if my recollection is correct -- was originally written for Hawthorne Caballeros. Dennis DeLucia is the link here.