The Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Dan A approved SCV to participate in the tour in 2024. But because SCV was a no-show at nationals, by rule they are no longer a member corps of DCI. So while Dan was able to grant permission to participate in shows, only the members can decide whether to grant membership status on SCV -- and thus the benefits that membership would bestow. The burden is on Santa Clara to make its case to the members.

NoT what they did for troopers 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Dan A approved SCV to participate in the tour in 2024. But because SCV was a no-show at nationals, by rule they are no longer a member corps of DCI. So while Dan was able to grant permission to participate in shows, only the members can decide whether to grant membership status on SCV -- and thus the benefits that membership would bestow. The burden is on Santa Clara to make its case to the members.

I do not recall Spirit losing their DCI membership because of 2022.  Member corps are allowed a one-year hiatus without automatically forfeiting membership.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not recall Spirit losing their DCI membership because of 2022.  Member corps are allowed a one-year hiatus without automatically forfeiting membership.

You may be right, although it will be interesting to see what occurs next summer in terms of show orders of appearance.   After all, since SCV was not at Indy in 2022 and therefore received no ranking, one would think they will have to be in the first group of three for every show until San Antonio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

DCI Bylaws

Section 6 - Actions on membership status - Termination
Membership is automatically terminated in the event a Member corps does not compete at the Drum Corps International World Championship during the year of Membership, unless that failure to compete is due to a probationary status.

(Maybe I missed it, but DCI never put Santa Clara on probation. In its Dec. 12, 2022 press release, DCI said only that SCV "will opt-out of the 2023 Drum Corps International Tour." Not a word about probation.)

Section 5 - Responsibilities and benefits of membership
B. Voting for changes in membership status, including granting Membership to organizations... 

Section 2 - Eligibility for Membership
Membership in Drum Corps International is available to competitive drum corps that:
A. Participate in the DCI Summer Tour and at the DCI World Championships
C. Have been approved for Membership by a majority vote of the current membership

Seems pretty black-and-white to me: SCV will need to pitch its case for membership to the current members of DCI.

Spirit was placed on probationary status, which means it did not lose its membership status, which means SoA did not need to petition the DCI members to restore its own membership. Same was true for Troopers in 2005.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

DCI Bylaws

Section 6 - Actions on membership status - Termination
Membership is automatically terminated in the event a Member corps does not compete at the Drum Corps International World Championship during the year of Membership, unless that failure to compete is due to a probationary status.

Section 5 - Responsibilities and benefits of membership
B. Voting for changes in membership status, including granting Membership to organizations. . . 

Section 2 - Eligibility for Membership
Membership in Drum Corps International is available to competitive drum corps that:
A. Participate in the DCI Summer Tour and at the DCI World Championships
C. Have been approved for Membership by a majority vote of the current membership

It all seems pretty black-and white to me: SCV will need to pitch their case for membership to the current membership of DCI.

Spirit was placed on probationary status, which means they did not lose their membership status, which means SoA did not need to petition the DCI members to restore its own membership. Same was true for Troopers in 2005.

Maybe I missed it, but DCI never put Santa Clara on probation. In its Dec. 12, 2022 press release, DCI said only that SCV "will opt-out of the 2023 Drum Corps International Tour." Not a word about probation.

I did not remember DCI placing Spirit on probation, but Google says it happened.  I tend to think any member corps, knowing this is how it works, would try to obtain probationary status whenever they have to take a year off.  Maybe SCV is already under double secret probation, with this in mind.

Good news for PC.  Often times a building corps momentum is broken after a great year because they lose the staff that helped get them there.  PC being able to retain their entire staff to build on this past year will really give them a serious shot at a finals position.  They lost that after Everglow and with Covid.  Next year, the 10 to 16 corps will all probably up their games so it should be another great year of swapping spots for finals!

https://www.facebook.com/PCDrumCorps/posts/pfbid02BYFNDPaq2UdTfYnmh3j7cNpU3C1BtegdW5cUk3iGsNePFeTwQM83DFRMzXVRNmTzl

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Good news for PC.  Often times a building corps momentum is broken after a great year because they lose the staff that helped get them there.  PC being able to retain their entire staff to build on this past year will really give them a serious shot at a finals position.  They lost that after Everglow and with Covid.  Next year, the 10 to 16 corps will all probably up their games so it should be another great year of swapping spots for finals!

https://www.facebook.com/PCDrumCorps/posts/pfbid02BYFNDPaq2UdTfYnmh3j7cNpU3C1BtegdW5cUk3iGsNePFeTwQM83DFRMzXVRNmTzl

this is good news!

38 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

In-house promotion, so good for Craig. 

I got to know Craig Adams when he was marching in Boston's hornline.  He is a good guy and I'm glad to see him succeeding. 

• Like 3