The Staff Merry-go-round

For the record, the Boston Crusaders have been having their spring training at small New England colleges and prep schools for more than 20 years, and had been at Castleton,  Vermont well before the staff changes in 2017. 

While there arguably is a drum corps organization which BAC has gone to great lengths to learn from, it would be the height of hubris to claim that is our friends from Fort Mill.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, karuna said:

Because of exactly what started this little sidetrack:  Boston fans constantly bringing up Crown.   Additional reasons:  (1) their shows and uniforms look precisely like Crown shows of the past (2) their admin seems to hire everyone that Crown parts ways with (most recently Hannum and Ancona).   Since Crown moved on from those guys there's no angst here just an observation.  (3) Boston adopted Crown's spring training regime (ie move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms, etc...  I see posts from Boston fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Crown has done for many, many years at Gardner Webb.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Crown  (4) It's funny as hell .  How's that for a start?

And I know I'm going to get the standard reply (Boston has their own identity blah blah blah).  Let me tell you -- that identity may be there internally but from everything you see publicly...well it's there for anyone to see.  Sic sequitur Crown North.  It's not an insult -- it's literally a description.   Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.  <donning flame suit now>  

ps. sorry but you asked...

As for #1 you do make a point, however this isn't the only instance in the activity where design staff takes their style/brand with them when moving on.  For example: when Gaines went to SCV their marching style emulated what the Cavies had done for years.

As far as Hannum and Ancona.  I believe the relationship there pre-dates Crown quire a bit with Colin & Ancona being students together at UMass under Hannum.  Makes sense that Colin would bring them in if they are available.  Also people often forget Colin started his drum corps career marching with BAC.

As far as spring training, I believe the current spring training location pre-dates 2017  by a few years.

So I would say #2 & #3 aren't valid points.  With the correct facts for #2 & #3 seems like your assessment is a non-starter and not really funny at all  Seems more like a stretch to perpetuate something that really doesn't exist?

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Because of exactly what started this little sidetrack:  Boston fans constantly bringing up Crown.   Additional reasons:  (1) their shows and uniforms look precisely like Crown shows of the past (2) their admin seems to hire everyone that Crown parts ways with (most recently Hannum and Ancona).   Since Crown moved on from those guys there's no angst here just an observation.  (3) Boston adopted Crown's spring training regime (ie move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms, etc...  I see posts from Boston fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Crown has done for many, many years at Gardner Webb.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Crown  (4) It's funny as hell .  How's that for a start?

And I know I'm going to get the standard reply (Boston has their own identity blah blah blah).  Let me tell you -- that identity may be there internally but from everything you see publicly...well it's there for anyone to see.  Sic sequitur Crown North.  It's not an insult -- it's literally a description.   Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.  <donning flame suit now>  

ps. sorry but you asked...

Nope. Disagree on all counts.  Crown North is just mocking in a snide Crown sort of way. I am a Bloo honk. I have no skin in this um, game? But Crown fans have just seemed petty and hypersensitive to anything Boston says or does.

I really wish Crownies would just grow the #### up.

They are the main reason I go to the hot dog stand when they are on the field. Not the the corps. 

Oh, and thanks for the lol on my previous post. You so funny. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, karuna said:

Boston adopted Crown's spring training regime (ie move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms, etc...  I see posts from Boston fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Crown has done for many, many years at Gardner Webb.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Crown 

I see that Crown has been holding spring training at Gardner Webb in 2007. Phantom Regiment started holding spring training at Rockford College in 2003 and did so for a number of years thereafter.

Ahem...

"Crown adopted Phantom Regiment's spring training regime (i.e., move in to a small remote college, live in the dorms).  I see posts from Crown fans bragging about all this but it's just an exact copy of what Regiment did for several years at Rockford College.  I mean it makes sense because it works well but it's just exactly the same setup as that team had at Regiment."

Do I believe this? Of course not. It's as silly as the post I'm quoting.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAL-27 said:

As for #1 you do make a point, however this isn't the only instance in the activity where design staff takes their style/brand with them when moving on.  For example: when Gaines went to SCV their marching style emulated what the Cavies had done for years.

Great point - Crown's "brand" had as much to do with Potter & Co. as Boston's does now!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Nope. Disagree on all counts.  Crown North is just mocking in a snide Crown sort of way. I am a Bloo honk. I have no skin in this um, game? But Crown fans have just seemed petty and hypersensitive to anything Boston says or does.

I really wish Crownies would just grow the #### up.

They are the main reason I go to the hot dog stand when they are on the field. Not the the corps. 

Oh, and thanks for the lol on my previous post. You so funny. 

I've kept quiet and logged out for a few months since my suspension was lifted, but I have to say that this is probably the most petty and pathetic thing I've seen anyone post on here in my years of reading and commenting. You're allowing a fan base to dictate whether or not you support the kids on the field? I bet this makes you feel so much better at night, doesn't it? The fact that you felt the need to share this speaks volumes for your character, and not so much the Crown organization or its fandom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

I've kept quiet and logged out for a few months since my suspension was lifted, but I have to say that this is probably the most petty and pathetic thing I've seen anyone post on here in my years of reading and commenting. You're allowing a fan base to dictate whether or not you support the kids on the field? I bet this makes you feel so much better at night, doesn't it? The fact that you felt the need to share this speaks volumes for your character, and not so much the Crown organization or its fandom. 

You’ll love the ignore feature. I do.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You’ll love the ignore feature. I do.

I'm sure you do, but I'm not petty unlike some on here. I don't feel the need to spout things that really should be kept to ones self. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Edited by ZTWright

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Great point - Crown's "brand" had as much to do with Potter & Co. as Boston's does now!

No doubt.  Doesn't make it less visible though.  Anyone who says "Boston looks nothing like Crown" is just taking a dip in the river in Egypt!  As a Crown fan it sure is weird to see on the field and is a large part of the "Crown North" perception.  

As for it happening elsewhere... SCV under Gaines did NOT look like Cavies/Gaines to me at all.  

Edited by karuna