Phantom Regiment 2024

11 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

With that being said looking back during my days with Phantom, many corps made vast improvements in their performances only to fizzle out or die altogether, just from my memory in 1980... 27th Lancers, Bridgemen were on the verge, Spirt of Atlanta with the loss of Jim Ott... SCV appeared to be on the verge with their sudden drop to 7th place but ultimately came back strong in 1981.

And now today, with SCV and Cadets being out I can't help but wonder if the DCI powers that be have been propping up certain corps to keep them alive. Especially when we can all see the cost of running a corp growing exponentially. 

How many other corps are on the verge of dying/reorganizing because of the financial strain of today's economy, not to mention internal issues? One would think that scores and placements mean more bodies in the seats.

Even Phantom at one time wasn't far off from financial collapse but had the wear with all to see the danger ahead.

I wonder if DCI is on the verge of collapse or close to being reimagined as the product we see and hear today.

Unfortunately, other than the 990s (which are a lagging indicator(& lag more for some than others ($0.02 to RL))) we don’t have much of a window into the finances of any Corps.  This is unfortunate as sometimes an early intervention could fix an issue before it balloons to something unmanageable.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that Rick Subel is listed as a Regiment program consultant. While I wasn't such a fan of his shows at Crown (relative to the previous Crown regime), he's clearly a talented guy. Here's hoping he brings some new ideas to the design team.

• Like 2

I think Rick will work well with the current design staff. Let’s hope this new collaboration  brings some fresh ideas to the field.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m concerned. I think his work at Crown really held them back

Was that on Rick or who he had to work with at Crown?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Was that on Rick or who he had to work with at Crown?

That I don’t know

Full disclosure: I haven’t been a Crown fan since Relentless 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I just noticed that Rick Subel is listed as a Regiment program consultant. While I wasn't such a fan of his shows at Crown (relative to the previous Crown regime), he's clearly a talented guy. Here's hoping he brings some new ideas to the design team.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Subal worked at Phantom back in the 2000s. Maybe he was a caption head or something? This design staff seems big on getting people they trust and have worked with in the past to work with them. I’m excited to see what he brings to the table, especially with the visual/guard design (which is what I think he would be contributing?). Hopefully the past issues are a case of limitations at Crown rather than something intrinsic.

3 hours ago, college-phan said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Subal worked at Phantom back in the 2000s. Maybe he was a caption head or something? This design staff seems big on getting people they trust and have worked with in the past to work with them. I’m excited to see what he brings to the table, especially with the visual/guard design (which is what I think he would be contributing?). Hopefully the past issues are a case of limitations at Crown rather than something intrinsic.

He was the color guard caption head I believe.  He spent time with SCV too. 

Edited by Jimmyjames
additional info