Does Madison.....

55 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

That "in your face" style of drumcorp is over. It's all about "production". You look at the top 4 and these guys had a very different style.

Madison doesn't need to try to be a top 4 corps.  They won't be scored such and they don't have the talent to pull off that demand.  First goal should be challenging for that 12th spot.  On the field, I'd look to Spirit and Pacific Crest for inspiration.  Both have solid design teams that know what they want to get across, and pretty much Stick to the Plan.  If you want to be the "in your face" corps, that's absolutely still possible - I'd argue Troopers had one of the more aggressive brass books in the business this year - but you have to have a visual program to complement it.  They're just not going to move up in the ranks otherwise.  

Anyways, my "if I were director for a day" advice would be to get everyone on board with what Madison is going to be, over-invest in visual staff and Stick to the Plan.

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I do think this is a very good point. I know everyone wants to see old Madison Scouts back in action. But the job of a good design team and teaching staff is not to write that kind of show if the members cannot handle it. You have to write to the talents you have. Madison actually had some good brass and percussion musicians this summer. The visual book was overwritten and did not work that well with the music. The prop did not work. The guard book was too far behind by the time they finished learning the full show. They have to do a better job of getting a show on the field that can be performed at a decent level so they have a chance to clean while also making changes. 

Age and experience is what it is. They need a show that is well crafted, can be fully taught at camp, and one that meets the talent and experience level of the members. Then they can clean, tweak, and layer from there. The theme or concept of the show needs to be obvious and easy to understand. 

I think I was making the same point from the other direction.   You said it better. 

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Please. Yes.

Absolutely. At least entertain us. You can set the world on fire once you've re-won some hearts and minds. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Absolutely. At least entertain us. You can set the world on fire once you've re-won some hearts and minds. 

Surf is very entertaining.... Look where that gets them. One has to still have some solid design principles in place. Otherwise, the Scouts become a permanent stop along the way, never a destination or goal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

That "in your face" style of drumcorp is over. It's all about "production". You look at the top 4 and these guys had a very different style.

Mandarins are pretty in your face, but their production is insane.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm pretty sure this year's show WAS an attempt at an "in your face" program. The problem is it wasn't well-designed and didn't work because the activity has passed their designers by and they need to catch back up. 

12 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

My face says "in your face" was alive and kicking in 2023.  Every one of the top 13 (and the majority of remaining corps) got in my face.  This was a fun year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BigW said:

Surf is very entertaining.... Look where that gets them. One has to still have some solid design principles in place. Otherwise, the Scouts become a permanent stop along the way, never a destination or goal.

Surf also doesn't get the talent top tier teams get and don't start moveins until other have started having judged performances. not an apples to apples comparison

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1