Redux

19 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

91 BD has been mentioned. So I will say 93 BD. 

Two of THE classic BD shows!

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Two of THE classic BD shows!

To this day, those 91 and 93 BD hornlines are two of the best I have ever heard live. Hands down, no debate. 

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

To this day, those 91 and 93 BD hornlines are two of the best I have ever heard live. Hands down, no debate. 

Totally agree, and 91 has some KILLER visual technique. I think THAT year is when BD started their visual dominance in technique and T. Ryan's contribution to that is why.

...and '92 was right there. When a Man Loves a Woman was the talk of the season!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Totally agree, and 91 has some KILLER visual technique. I think THAT year is when BD started their visual dominance in technique and T. Ryan's contribution to that is why.

...and '92 was right there. When a Man Loves a Woman was the talk of the season!

When a Man Loves a Woman was awesome! But for me when it comes to 92 BD............La Suerte de los Tontos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Hahaha.  Lighten up Francis!   Noone is saying do a complete remake.   This is simply asking a very simple question.  What show had great potential, but for whatever reason did not deliver.   

And Yes, you should move on!   You just wasted seconds of both our lives.  I hope you are happy now.  😊 

You'll have to excuse me.  I have PTSD from Westside Story. 🙂

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Ima gonna go waaay back to 1985. Would love to se a redo of Symphonie Fantastique. That was a killer show.

That's a great piece of music. I've heard quite a few school/college marching bands play it but have yet to see anyone do visuals that actually match Berlioz' story. I'm not saying there has to be an actual guillotine but GE scores would be pretty wild😏

On 8/16/2023 at 8:18 PM, Tony L. said:

So, I know we should be focused on the future, but I was wondering what show concept or music would you want to see a corps try again with.   Something that was good, but could have been great.  That one show to redo.   

For me:   Blue Devils 1990 or 1991  and the crazy Cadets Mass show (please no backflip Jesus!!!).

Thoughts?  If any.

Star 1993... I think Mandarins could pull it off. 

I don’t think you can recreate too many shows. For one thing, the skills of yesteryear are not the skills taught today. This is not to say yesterday is better than today or today is better than yesterday. It’s different. You also don’t have the same staff and marching members which often made a show a show. We’re also different and we see shows differently today when we look back than how we viewed shows back in the day. In high school (1978-81) I always admired corps that were precise and took drum corps seriously. Favorites would have been 27th, BAC, Cadets, Defenders, North Star. Bridgemen in my opinion at the time did not take drum corps seriously. Now I watch my DVD’s and can’t believe how seriously Bridgemen took their performances, the talent level, and creativity. Maybe I had no sense of humor at the time, most likely they were too competitive with corps I liked better.

I do not think we can recreate shows, but I am a strong supporter of returning to classic pieces, but exploring them in a new way. A favorite Phantom “off the line” number was 1977’s 4th movement of Dvorak’s Symphony #9. Returning to that became 1989’s “New World Symphony.” They reimagined a classic. So yes, we could do a show on Elgar’s “The Planets” or Bizet’s “Carmen,” but do it differently. Include some of the popular portions, but include deep cuts too. There are great portions of popular classics that have never been arranged for drum corps. There are lots of times I look up source music and am surprised at who wrote it and where it came from, so do the familiar but dig deeper.